Jan's Reviews > The Devil in the White City

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Apr 02, 2010

liked it
Read from April 02 to May 02, 2010

I liked this book, but didn't love it, and was pretty happy to get to the end. The interweaving of chapters on Holmes and the architects was good, but I got so bogged down in the details of the trials and tribulations of the architects. Not only that, I had a hard time keeping everyone straight. All in all, I'm glad I read it, but I'm glad it's over.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.

06/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I loved this book and the fact that it is true was even more amazing! Sometimes a little too much detail, but still an excellent read.

Jonelle I loved it too. The whole World's Fair spectacle, added to the creepy parts, made for a fantastic story.

Quiltgranny Me too - and having walked in Chicago in the places described gave me even more creeps. This is his best book - the others ones just didn't have the spark that this one did!

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan My sister Jonelle gave me Isaac's Storm and I liked that one very much. I do have the others on hold for later.

Quiltgranny Oh - I forgot about Isaac's Storm - yes, that was good and is what led me to Devil in the White City! BUT, read something other than Thunderstruck next, it's a bit disappointing.

message 6: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan I'll wait a while. This is my second non-fiction book in a row and I'll be ready for some brain candy after.

Jonelle Another book about the Chicago World's Fair, "The Hatbox Baby" is fiction, but it is sweet, sad and nostalgic, reminding me of "Water for Elephants." Jan, I have it in Cayucos if you want.