Inga's Reviews > Fires of Man

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson

bookshelves: 2014, science-fiction

My review:

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson is an interesting book. It's well written and the settings are quite unique. You will experience an alternative world, which is somewhat similar to ours and yet very different. There are two worlds - Calchis and Orion - which are on the edge of a war, wanting nothing less than a supremacy.

Let me start with saying, that even though it's a first novel in a series, it can't be read as stand alone book. Fires of Man introduces you the two superpowers, the worlds of Calchis and Orion and to its people. It consists of many subplots which characters are crossing each others paths and a lot of characters who doesn't. It builds up to a whole lot to happen, but it doesn't conclude anything. There is no clear ending, you are left with many questions about what will happen to the characters.

What's also specific for Fires of Man is, that I couldn't in point clear main characters. It's not necessarily a bad thing, because they all have a story to tell and the characters are very engaging and well written. It's just that there is nobody specific whose story is more significant than others. There are some similarities to George R.R. Martin where you never know what's going to happen next and which characters is going to be killed off in a book. The emphasis is not only on one or two characters, but on many and their stories are equally important and fascinating.

What I loved about Fires of Man is that it emphasizes a lot on how war influences people, be it how the characters grow from kids to a man and then forced to develop into men to soldiers. I think that part of the story I liked the best. It builds tension where first there is a cold war and you know, even before it happens, that there will be a real one.

It's well written and the dialogue was very good, it seemed real and believable, even though it dealt with different worlds and with people with psionic powers. I also think that it would be suitable for the big screen, meaning that it was written in a way which created pictures, it's very visual in my opinion. It's like you get scenes of different situations and people and then it switches to a parallel story in the book.

Fires of Man gives a great start for the series. Well done!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of Man.

Started Reading