Tiffany PSquared's Reviews > The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

bookshelves: 2017-book-reading-challenge, bookmooch-giveaways

We can understand the world only through the language that is at our disposal. Every period has its own linguistic - and perceptive - lens.

Historic and modern-day Massachusetts reunite in this tale of one woman's unintentional climb through her family tree. Connie discovers more than she bargains for while researching for her doctoral dissertation.

What I Liked:
- I have read several books about the Salem witch trials, but none that were based in modern times. This put the trials into a new perspective and was, to me, an original take on that history.
- From the postscript, we learn that Katherine Howe herself can trace her lineage back to two accused witches. This fact lends an air of authority, truthfulness, and connectedness to the tale.
- I loved the Interludes where we popped back in time to revisit several members of the Dane family line as they practiced their craft, defended themselves, and made their living in their highly suspicious environment.
- The characters were fleshed out, the setting well-established, and the pacing was steady.
- The cover art pulled me in even before the story did.

What I Didn't Like:
- Connie's mother, Grace, was intended to be mysterious, but maybe too much so. I felt sure that we would get more exposure to an explanation from her, but the book ended without that being the case.
- Once again - as often happens in suspenseful novels - the story ended without much follow-up after the resolution. I guess it may just be me, but with good books, I hate to let them end without knowing what happens with the main characters, their relationships, and their careers. I guess that's why I read so many series.

This was a well-paced, entertaining work of historical fiction written in a way that kept me hooked. Four well-earned stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

June 15, 2014 – Shelved
page 276
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-book-reading-challenge
November 12, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 11, 2017 – Shelved as: bookmooch-giveaways

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Crumb (last edited Nov 12, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Crumb This review is fantastic, Tiffany. I loved how you clearly highlighted what you liked and disliked. Bravo!

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Tiffany!! :)

Rita Wonderful review! I enjoy the variety of books that you read.

Tiffany PSquared Thanks, Crumb, Deanna, and Rita!