Mandy's Reviews > The Headhunters Race

The Headhunters Race by Kimberly Afe

Avene has been in prison as a conspirator in the death or her mother for three years even though she had nothing to do with it her step brother did. The prison where Avene has spent the last three years has been a fight every day for food and to stay alive. Every year a race is run that the prisoners get a chance to compete racing to find her brother who ran away to bring him back in hopes of getting out of prison. It’s a risky race through harsh territory and cannibal are around every corner. Avene has signed up each time in hopes that she will finally get to ask her brother all her burning questions. It’s her step father is the leader of the town and the one who through her in prison, and refuses to let her race.

When she signs up she knows he’s not going to pick her but when her friend also signs up with the plan that Avene will go in her place she takes the chance. On the day of the race Avene will have to race alone over the 150 miles but she won’t be doing it alone with a guy she’s not sure she trusts. She’ll have to learn to trust McCoy or she may not make it back in time to have the collar around her neck removed and she’ll die. Will Avene find her brother ? Will she learn to trust McCoy? Will they make it back without being captured by the cannibals?

I like Avene she’s had a hard life with the plague that killed her father, the murder of her mother and spending the last three years fighting to survive in the terrible prison. While things may have been tough it’s made her a stronger character willing to risk it all for a chance to avenge her mother and the people who are tossing into the prison for meaningless things. At first I wasn’t sure about McCoy but as the book progressed I saw the budding relationship between the two and started to like him more. For a bad guy King has some interesting motives and it kind of makes sense why he did what he did.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Headhunters Race because I picked it up based on the cover a while back and the fact that it’s a Dystopia novel. The author has created a dark and interesting world while the race aspect isn’t new throwing the twist of the cannibals creates a unique story. I found The Headhunters Race to be a captivating novel it’s creepy loaded with action that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. I enjoyed the story it’s one that might have given me nightmares before bed but I admit to nothing. The author has created a detailed intricate story that flows along smooth it’s well written and a quick read. I like the character I was cheering Avene on through the whole book and was able to connect with her. I enjoyed the book it’s a great first book to an exciting new series and after the way it ended I’m looking forward to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Headhunters Race.

June 15, 2014 – Shelved