Ornella (Nyx)'s Reviews > The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality

The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker

6282007

3.5 Stars

Well this was an eye opener.

As far as the book goes, I like how condensed and concise it is. It doesn't talk around in circles and it's more or less easy to understand. My issue came in with all the sexual orientation labels. I know the more used ones, gay, lesbian, queer, trans, etc. But then there is pan, heterocis, heterotrans, intersex, neutrois, and just all the labels that I was not familiar with and it was overwhelming at the start. Sondra doesn't leave you in the dark. Just throws the terms and leaves you flailing about. She explain them to you, in a very short but to the point definition and just moves on, and she does this with any term that could be considered out of the norm.

This book is for the layman person and it does a wonderful job at making itself understood. I really appreciated how it was organized, how it brings in examples to put some weight into what is being said. It also isn't just for the person who suspects, or is curious about Asexuality. It is also for the partners, friends and families of the asexual person who would like to understand them better or even help them realize that they are asexual and aren't alone or show them ways in which there can be compromises in a relationship between an asexual and a non-asexual.

All in all a great introduction to the topic of asexuality.

*There is also a resource section in the book to links to online organizations/communities for support*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Orientation.

Started Reading