nicole's Reviews > Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runaway

Apr 01, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, biography
Read from April 01 to 05, 2010

Fame, manipulation, bad hair, and lots and lots (and lots) of quaaludes.

What a train wreck. Both the text (did she have an editor?) and the story (though on the story side of things, that's what keeps you reading, of course). It's hard to look away but in this case, sometimes I really wanted to. I'm afraid I'm forever damaged by Cherie Currie's horrifying history of sexual abuse and stupidity. If you were repulsed by the film version of Kim Fowley, don't even pick this up. Dude is despicable. One of the worst parts of this book is that it's actually frequently hard to feel sorry for Cherie, despite all the ways she was taken advantage of because she comes across as such a complete dip shit. You were hardcore? Nobody could tell you what to do? Then why is this memoir a lesson in manipulation and how to fall for it? Cherie Currie's life sounds like the exact opposite of the "freedom" she thought she was living out. That said, this is not uninteresting. It's a big ol' mess, quick and reads like a juicy diary, though ultimately too depressing for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neon Angel.

Lena She just wrote what happened when she was growing up. She knew some of her choices were bad. But she is still a great person, and a survivor, and still rocks the stage today.

Jessica I totally agree about how disgusting it got... I read it once and then gave it away.

Lisa M. I agree with Lena. She isn't claiming, as an adult, that she was hardcore. She's stating what she thought as a teen.

nicole Points taken, but I refer to her in the past tense, so I'm not really sure we're disagreeing. She may very well be a lovely, intelligent and talented woman. The Cheri of the past, that this book is about, to me, still sounds like a fool though. We all make dumb choices, I just didn't find her's very sympathetic.

Lisa M. I mean, I get what you're saying, but she's 15 at the beginning of the book. I could see/empathize with the choices she made throughout, although it was frustrating to follow some of her thought processes. (IE, "Well, this speed looks like it's bad for me ... back to coke it is!") I wonder if she has kept sober until today.