Michelle's Reviews > Dear Mr. Henshaw

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary

F 50x66
Apr 01, 2010

bookshelves: mentor-text-set

Literary Element: Organization (Friendly Letter). Ten-year-old Leigh develops a friendship with author Boyd Henshaw after his teacher assigns a letter-writing project. Through his letters to Mr. Henshaw, the reader learns about Leigh’s problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and finding out how he fits in.

It seems with the advent of email, texting, twittering, blogging, etc. that letter-writing is becoming a lost art. From about the time that I was Leigh's age right through my first year in college, I was an avid letter writer. My extended family lived almost two hours away, so I would always write to my grandmother and aunts. I remember one of my aunts telling me what a wonderful letter writer I was and home much she enjoyed receiving my letters. This same aunt publishes a newsletter of sorts every Christmas to update the family of the goings on in her life and to share her childhood memories. I always love reading the stories about my grandmother. It's sad, but I can't remember the last time that I wrote a bonafide letter to someone. Last Christmas, I kept thinking that I should write my own newsletter to the family, but then I never got around to it. Maybe this year I will be inspired to follow through!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Mr. Henshaw.