Will M.'s Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

20408288

bookshelves: sci-fi, 2016, best-of-2016, humor, space

This is another instance where it's daunting to write a review because the novel is well-known and loved by millions of people. As a Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader, it's embarrassing that I've only read this once, and I've waited 'till 2016 to read this. I'm glad that I can finally say that I've read this. I've finally read and enjoyed one of the most influential books of the sci-fi genre.

I understand all the buzz regarding this novel. This is the first time in my whole life that I laughed out loud while reading a novel. I've never believed that a novel could be humorous enough to make me elicit more than a giggle or a smile. This novel changed my perception of humor novels in general. I finally have faith in that genre, and an even stronger desire to read more important Sci-Fi novels.

I don't see the need to make a short summary of the novel. You can find other reviews that did that. I'm writing this review to express my feelings toward the novel, and the journey that I had with it. Speaking of journey, it was a damn short one. I honestly hate gigantic novels, but it's always fulfilling to finish one if the book is great. This book I can consider amazing, but too short.

Aside from the humor, I enjoyed the wittiness of the novel and the author himself. The ideas he incorporated in the novel are vital for the readers to understand. It may be a humor novel, but it's more than that as a whole.

The characters are funny and well-developed. The main ones managed to make me laugh. Ford reminds me of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, and Arthur as Leonard Hofstadter. This is like a classic Big Bang theory episode, or maybe The Big Bang theory is a modern Hitchhiker.

The plot is not that complex, but it is interesting. I'm always interested to read about other planets in the galaxy, even if it's just fiction. I like to imagine that there are hundreds or thousands of worlds out there in the galaxy. Funny thing that the Earth blew up in this novel. Funnier that they considered Earth as a funny name in the beginning.

All the ideologies Adams incorporated here are interesting to me. How some animals are superior and manipulated us, or how the Earth was all a project of some aliens. It's funny and vastly interesting. I can't wait to read the other books in the series.

4.5/5 stars. I decided to round it down because while the novel truly entertained me, it still lacked something and made me think twice about the 5-star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

June 13, 2014 – Shelved
June 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 15, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 6, 2016 – Started Reading
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
January 6, 2016 –
page 16
7.41% "Finally going to read this intimidating series. Seems to have a huge and loyal fan base, but if this sucks, I'll go all out on it despite the huge possibility of getting spammed with hatred."
January 11, 2016 –
page 123
56.94% "I've never laughed out loud because of a novel before, but then this novel happened."
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: best-of-2016
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: humor
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: space
January 12, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Markus This is another instance where it's daunting to write a review because the novel is well-known and loved by millions of people.

*holds a gun to your head* Yeah, do you have anything negative to say, Will?

Haha, great review, man.

Will M. Thanks, Markus! Thankfully I enjoyed this a lot.

carol. Good to know that it held up for a new generation. I loved it when I was younger, but it is so colored by nostalgia that I don't know how well it holds up.

Will M. Carol. wrote: "Good to know that it held up for a new generation. I loved it when I was younger, but it is so colored by nostalgia that I don't know how well it holds up."

I'm glad myself because I wasn't expecting to enjoy this. I expected the humor to be "too old" for my taste, but thankfully I laughed here and there.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peisner You're not the only one reading it for the first time in 2016. I am as well

Keith this book was pretty awesome !!