Deborah Cater's Reviews > Sacred Games

Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

Jun 12, 2014

liked it

This book is a lot of things all rolled into one (and at over 900 pages there is space for that): a gangster story, a detective story, a post-colonial look at India, an Indian's view of the different castes, religions and sects found in India and Pakistan, a commentary on the creation of Pakistan and a history lesson; then again it is not completely any of the above.

I took my time reading it, and the form in which it is written lends itself to that, it is easily 'put-down and pick-up-able'. The different strands of story are neatly woven together, but I have to admit to a slight disappointment with the ending, which with its insets was just too neat for my liking.

The different narrative p.o.v.s all seemed to have the same voice, there really wasn't much to separate the different characters other than the events occurring to them...I wanted to love this book, but could only like it. Perhaps a second reading will show me things I missed the first time, but my wrist needs a rest from holding up this weighty tome. Sometimes, less is more.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Games.

June 12, 2014 – Started Reading