Addie's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned

** spoiler alert ** I had to create an entirely new shelf for this one, called ABANDONED.

I tried. I TRIED. I only made it to page 282 before I closed the book without a bookmark, and I am not the kind of person to give up on a book. I will muscle my way through even the most laboriously written or detailed novel because I hate to leave books unfinished, but this one I couldn't stand to keep reading any longer. I would actually squirm at the idea of picking it back up, and because I very rarely like to read more than one book at a time, I lost almost an entire month of reading time trying to get through Going Bovine.

It wasn't the writing. It wasn't the humor. It wasn't the main character or the teenage vernacular or video game references or philosophy/physics theorizing, because that shit is my life, yo. I was even really digging it at the beginning, with the Disneyland almost-drowning and the disconnection between Cameron and his twin sister, Jenna. His social stature, frequent trips to that indie record store, bickering with the beautiful kids... this book had all the right ingredients for me, but the way they were mixed produced something very unsavory and worse: something predictable.

It's not hard to guess that the entire thing is all in his head, and it didn't take me long. Hello! Hallucinations are almost the very first symptom Bray explains to the reader about mad cow disease. I avoided spoilers and I knew immediately, and it pissed me the fuck off. What a fucking gyp! I absolutely despise the It Was All A Dream ending because I feel it is such an enormous, unimaginative cop out. Unless there is a really fucking important reason or epic character growth and lessons learned, I feel the author is a huge pussy.

Every word out of fucking Gonzo's mama's boy mouth was annoying. We get it, okay? You're a hypochondriac and you want to go home. And after the introduction of Balder the Norse God yard gnome and the destruction of the Konstant Kettle by fire giants, I was out. Stick a fork in me.

Granted, I may be judging harshly because of my current life stress levels, but so intense was my letdown that I feel entitled to a little anger and language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.

March 6, 2010 –
page 71
March 7, 2010 – Started Reading
March 9, 2010 –
page 246
March 20, 2010 –
page 276
57.5% "Have only read 30 pages in 10 days. My interest is waning."
March 31, 2010 – Shelved