LaShanta Charles's Reviews > Love Edy

Love Edy by Shewanda Pugh

Whoa! Seriously, just whoa!

First things first, Shewanda Pugh, take a bow and everyone else, cue standing ovation. This book was so unbelievably amazing! The vortex of colliding emotions and raw beauty that comprise Love Edy is incomparable.

From the beginning there is a current, that only builds and builds leaving you absolutely no choice, but to drown in the plot. You want to know Edy, you want to grow with her, sympathize with her, and yet you want to give her that push she needs to realize her self-worth. Shewanda was able to brilliantly capture the plight of what is obviously the average (or not so average) teenage girl. She wants to fit in, but not to conform. She wants to be loved and have friends, but not be taken advantage of. She wants to be accepted for who she is, not because of what is expected of her and who she knows. She wants Hassan, her best friend, but how can she compete with centuries of cultural beliefs that promise the two of them could never be. Then there was Wyatt. I’m still on the fence about his character. I wanted to like him. I wanted Edy to like him. Heck, I even wanted Hassan and the boys to take him under their wings, but overall he just kind of gave me the creeps. At first I thought there would be some sort of love triangle – Edy, Hassan, and Wyatt – but I was pleasantly surprised; there was never any competition and for that I’m eternally grateful!

The characters instantly become living, breathing, everyday people caught up in a maelstrom of challenges, friendships, love, and pain. You root for them just as much as you want to haul off and slap them. The development of relationships and the pace at which the writing flowed was a refreshing distraction in an industry that has been oversaturated with lack of skill and prowess. Shewanda Pugh is an exceptional writer, by far one of the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading.

I would definitely recommend this book to others and I know that this series will be one that will have me begging for more. Bravo, Shewanda!

Lashanta Charles, The Kindle Book Review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Edy.

June 12, 2014 – Started Reading