Nancy Meservier's Reviews > The Fisherman's Net

The Fisherman's Net by Laura Lam

liked it
bookshelves: short-fiction, fantasy, ebook

The Fisherman's Net is the second in Laura Lam's Vestigial Tales project, short ebooks that give readers a deeper look into the characters and world of Lam's Pantomime series. Unlike The Snake Charm, which involves characters from Pantomime, The Fisherman's Net is a fairy tale of sorts, involving a mermaid and one greedy fisherman. While I enjoyed The Fisherman's Net it didn't grab me quite as much as The Snake Charm, which had the benefit of being about a character I was already invested in. Also, the story doesn't do anything particularly new or interesting, meaning the resolution is robbed of much of its punch. At the same time, I think The Fisherman's Net completely succeed when it comes to expanding the Pantomime universe by giving us a glimpse into its folklore. There's just something really nice about getting to read a story that little Micah or Drystan probably heard as children. Also, unlike many real-life popular fairy tales, there is nothing weak or foolish about the female characters presented here.

The Fisherman's Net is certainly worth its 99 cent price tag. While I didn't like it as much as The Snake Charm, I still enjoyed reading it and look forward to future stories in this project.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fisherman's Net.

June 11, 2014 – Shelved