Kelly's Reviews > Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children

Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children by Kathryn Kenny

Mar 30, 2010

Someone needs to report Peter Belden for ethics violations. The story opens with Mr. Belden telling his wife about the Dodge family, who recently lost their home and possessions. Should he really be talking about the financial affairs of his customers? I think not.

Trixie and Bobby discover an abandoned baby in Reddy's doghouse and Sergeant Molinson aks for the Belden-Wheeler Detective Agency's help in cracking the case. They locate the baby's parents and discover there is still a missing child in the woods! Poor Davy Dodge thought his parents were going to sell their children to cover debts, so he grabbed the baby and went on the lam.

Davy leads the Bob Whites and the local police force a merry chase as he manages to hide out in the woods surrounding the Wheeler, Belden and Lynch lands. So -- one small boy vs Schoolgirl Shamuses, the Sleepyside Police Force, and some random kidnappers. Small boy -- 1, everyone else -- 0.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children.

Finished Reading
March 30, 2010 – Shelved

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVED this one. In fact, I submitted it in my fourth grade class Vote for the Next Class Read Aloud contest. Mrs. Frisby won. It was probably for the best.

Wendy Sadly, when I think about this book, I remember one phrase right away (oh, Bobby Belden): "Batter is pancakes". Then I think "ooh, pancakes". Then I am done thinking about this book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I hasten to add that, though this was a fave growing up, it is not one of my adult reread faves. I do love, though, that I decorated it with valentine stickers...

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth K. Are you doing a Trixie read, or did you simply decide "hey, I think I'll read The Mystery of the Castaway Children" today?

message 5: by Susann (new)

Susann I am still in awe of all of you who made it past #6 or #7 in the series. And I'm not being snarky with that comment! My sister's friend gave me a paper grocery bag filled with dozens(?) of them, but I just stalled out.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I publicly triple-dog-dare Susann to read #14 Mystery of the Emeralds and not like it.

message 7: by Susann (new)

Susann Darsa, given our past history, don't you think you should be BRIBING me with, say, yet another vintage copy of I CAPTURE THE CASTLE? Is Mystery of the Emeralds the one that's set in the Ozarks?

Erin OZARKS? Heresy! The wonderful MotE is set in Williamsburg, Virginia, my former stomping grounds and is, therefore, one of my favorites.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth K. Susann should read the Mystery of the Blinking Eye. The Bob-Whites in New York City!

message 10: by Susann (new)

Susann I read Mystery of the Blinking Eye last year, due to STRONG ENCOURAGEMENT from certain goodreads members.

Wendy I think they do, yes. I hadn't had any idea the text had been revised, I think, until I started rereading one in the reprint and there were a few words and phrases that were different--they were seamless, and yet I was sure I hadn't read it like that before. (Who knew I had The Mysterious Visitor memorized?)

I don't love Emeralds, myself, but I do love the Ozarks one, which is Bob-White Cave.

Kelly I am meaning to do a reread, but in fact, I stumbled across Castaway Children in the basement. It was sitting on the entertainment center for some reason. My all-time favorite is Mystery of the Emeralds, followed by -- maybe The Secret Code. I do love Mystery of the Ozarks for the the redecorating-Linnie's-house scene, and in 6th grade science I did an oral report on the ghostfish they find in the cave.