Bianca's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Mar 30, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own, books-i-loved, romance-i-envy-and-love, best-characters, put-life-on-hold-to-read, guys-i-wish-were-real, goodreads-reading-challenge-2010
Read from November 27 to 29, 2010

*Spoilers*

I LOVED this book and would have given it five stars but seeing as she chooses Shay I decided to deduct a star, purely because I am TEAM REN!

I really liked Calla as a character, she was strong and determined and her own person. I loved the feeling of family and loyalty between the Nightshades and even the relationships between them and the Banes. Calla has grown up her whole life knowing that she will be paired up with Ren to create a new pack. She of course hates the fact that her free will was taken away and that she doesnt have a choice in the matter. Still though she remains loyal and knows its her duty to Ren and the pack members to follow through, until Shay enters the picture.

I loved Bryn Calla's beta, she was a great best friend and kept secrets that could have gotten Calla into loads of trouble. I love how she and Ansel (Calla's brother) end up together although I was sad at the same time when Calla mentioned how they got to be together (Due to her and Ren putting in a good word for them later on) yet she doesnt get that chance. I really liked Ansel especially when he said he would run away with Bryn to be with her if he had to because thats what love is.

I just couldnt seem to like Shay as much as I wanted to he just wasn't appealing to me. He came into Calla's life and from that moment on Calla began questioning herself and everything she believes in. I like how she finds out the truth about the Keeper's and I cant imagine how it must have been for her to believe in something her whole life only to find out that it was a lie, must have been horrible. I can see why she relates to Shay and how she ends up with him over Ren. It also helps the storyline along, being with Shay just adds to the list of things she is not supposed to do. Also I doubt she would have ever discovered the truth if she chose Ren. He has admirable qualities but I still don't think he compares to Ren.

Chapter 33 was my favourite, It was a hard time emotionally for Calla and Ren. Even though Ren throughout the book appears to be a sleazy player deep down he is a really nice guy. He truly loved Calla and you see that in this chapter. He is willing to do anything for Calla including protecting Shay if he has too. I thought it was really sad when he asked Calla to return to him, that she would come back to him and the pack and that he doesnt want to lose her. You can see that even though they are arranged to be married he has fallen in love with her. I wish Calla hadnt been so untrusting with Ren, especially when she questions whether he would be like his father. I dont think Ren was anything like his dad. He proved many times that he was a good person deep down. For a while he just had a funny way of showing it. Plus he gives her a ring!! Who doesn't love a guy who gives the girl he loves a ring!>? I just don't beleive Calla gave Ren a proper go, even though she has known him for a long time she never really *knew* him. She didn't give him a fair go.

My favourite line from the book was "This isn't about love, it's about survival" "No Calla" His voice became hushed "This is only about love"

I will continue to hold onto the hope that she changes her mind and ends up with Ren, in the next book. I definatly can't wait for the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

Quotes Bianca Liked

Andrea Cremer
“I didn't realize I needed to point out that if we are attacked by a fire-breathing bitch, you can change forms.”

Andrea Cremer
“Ansel, I'm not the sun, stop orbiting and get in here.”

Andrea Cremer
“Ren watched us as he leaned casually against the table, holding a pair of scissors. I'd never seen a classroom tool look so dangerous.”

Andrea Cremer
“That is exactly why you can't have me yet, Ren. I'm not going to share.”

Andrea Cremer
“... taking my faltering as a sign of imminent emotional breakdown.”

Andrea Cremer
“(Ren's) eyes were sad but resigned. “And where will you go?”
I couldn’t keep the fear out of my reply. “I don’t know.”
“Please don’t do this,” he whispered. “Come back with me. We’ll talk to Logan; there has to be an explanation. The Keepers need us; we’re the alphas. We’ll figure this out. They won’t hurt you. I won’t let them.”

Andrea Cremer
“The mouthful of turkey sandwich I’d bitten off caught in my throat when Ren rested his hand on my leg, his fingers exploring the curve of my thigh. I coughed and snatched the bottle of water from his other hand, taking several desperate swallows before swatting his fingers from my leg.
“Are you trying to kill me?” I choked the words out. “Keep your hands to yourself.”

Andrea Cremer
“The way you move is incredible.” Ren drew me back to press against him. His fingers slid down to the curve of my hips, rocking our bodies in rhythm with the heavy bass. The sensation of being molded against the hard narrow line of his hips threatened to overwhelm me. We were hidden in the mass of people, right? The Keepers couldn’t see?
I tried to steady my breath as Ren kept us locked together in the excruciatingly slow pulse of the music. I closed my eyes and leaned back into his body; his fingers kneaded my hips, caressed my stomach. God, it felt good.
My lips parted and the misty veil slipped between them, playing along my tongue. The taste of flower buds about to burst into bloom filled my mouth. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than to melt into Ren. The surge of desire terrified me. I had no idea if the compulsion to draw him more tightly around my body emerged from my own heart or from the succubi’s spellcraft. This couldn’t happen!
I started to panic when he bent his head, pressing his lips against my neck. My eyes fluttered and I struggled to focus despite the suffocating heat that pressed down all around me. His sharpened canines traced my skin, scratching but not breaking the surface. My body quaked and I pivoted in his arms, pushing against his chest, making space between us.
“I’m a fighter, not a lover,” I gasped.
“You can’t be both?” His smile made my knees buckle.”

Andrea Cremer
“Calla.” My mother’s coaxing voice stopped me. “It is of course perfectly acceptable for Renier to call on you, but remember that you are a lady. Don’t bring shame on yourself by making poor choices.”
“No, of course not.” I kept my eyes on the hardwood floor, thinking about Shay’s kiss and how much more I’d wanted from him.
A sly smile hovered on Ren’s lips when I returned to the kitchen table.
If he heard what Mom said, I’m going to kill her.

Andrea Cremer
“What are you doing?” I tried to pull away, but his hand slipped from my hair to cup the nape of my neck.
When he whispered, his warm breath brushed over my lips. “Just let me kiss you, Calla. You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to. No one has to know.”
My lips parted as I drew a sudden, startled breath and in that instant his mouth was on mine, soft as velvet. I closed my eyes against the rush of a hundred wings that suddenly beat in my chest and soared through my body.
His scent was all around me. Leather, sandalwood, bonfires in autumn. He pulled back, but only for the sake of moving his lips to trail over my neck.
My blood was on fire and I was shaking. Is this really happening?
I couldn’t stop thinking about Shay in the clearing. About asking him to kiss me. The electric touch of his lips on mine.
But this is where I belong. I tried to push the memories back.
Ren stroked my knee, his fingers wandering up my thigh, sliding beneath the hem of my dress.
I grabbed his wrist. “Wait.”
He didn’t free his arm from my grasp but continued kissing my collar bone.
“Let’s skip the waiting part,” he murmured into my skin.”

Andrea Cremer
“Right.” He slowly stood up. “This is new territory for you. Stupid sequestering, the Keepers better not have turned you into a nun or something.”
I snatched a book off my nightstand and threw it at him. “Get out of my room!”
He caught the book in midair and laid it on the bed. “Easy, Lily. That was a bad joke. I didn’t mean any offense.”
I shook with humiliation. “You don’t know what it’s been like.”
“I know, and I’m sorry.” He came to my side and cupped my face. “I’m sure it hasn’t been fun. You deserve better.”
I nodded. He lowered his head, softly brushing his lips over mine. “I’ll show you how much fun it can be. You need to trust me.”

Andrea Cremer
“What’s three?” I asked, hoping to move away from this uncomfortable topic.
The smile pulled at his lips again.
“Three.” One of his hands cupped my face and the other slid around my back. He pulled my body against his and my heart began to pound. I took advantage of my free hand and pushed at his chest.
“I don’t think so, Lily,” he said. “If you want to get rid of me, you’ll need to do better than that.”
I drew a sharp breath and tried to wiggle away, but he held me firmly in place, watching me struggle. He grinned as he lifted me up onto the sink.
“What are you doing?” I started to panic. “Someone could come in!”
“If they see us, they’ll just turn around and get out of here,” he murmured, lips touching my ear. “No one crosses me.”
His hips pressed against my knees, opening them, pushing my skirt up my legs. I gripped his shirt, clinging to him so I wouldn’t fall into the sink. His hand pushed into my lower back. I gasped as his body fitted against mine.
Heat flooded my chest, my pelvis. I thought I would drown in it.
“We can’t—” His lips stopped my words. The kiss just made me dizzier. I dug my fingers into his shoulders.
“You said you didn’t want to be left alone.” His tongue flicked over my cheekbone. “This is me pestering you.”
“Aren’t you breaking the rules?” I could barely get the words out. “What about the union?”
“I’d rather have you on my own terms.” His hand slipped between my thighs.
All strength fled my limbs. “I can’t breathe.”
“That means you like it.” He kissed me again.”

Andrea Cremer
“My eyes narrowed. “And you’ll take me right home after we see it?”
“If that’s what you want,” he said softly, running his thumb along my cheekbone. “But I’d be tempted to see if I could convince you to stop acting like the proper lady your mother wants you to be.”
“So you did hear her.” I groaned, blushing.”

Andrea Cremer
“This is where you belong, Calla.” He pulled me closer, tilting my chin up. “Be with me. Tell me it’s what you want.”
I couldn’t tear my eyes from his. “What I want?”
“Yes. Anything, everything you need, I’ll give you. Always. I promise. Just tell me one thing.”
“What?”
“That you want this, us.” His voice dropped so low I could barely hear him. “That someday you’ll love me.”
My hands began to tremble where they rested around his neck. “Ren, you know we’re going to be together. We’ve both known that for a long time.”
He gave me a hard look. “That’s not what I’m talking about.”
“Why are you asking me this?” I tried to pull back, but he held me against him.
The glimmer of a smile appeared on his lips. “Why not?”
My temper flared. “Are you trying to say that you love me?”
I meant it as a challenge rather than a serious question, but his eyes seemed to catch fire.
“What do you think?” He touched his lips to mine, softly at first, gradually building pressure, parting them.”

Andrea Cremer
“Tell me you’ll come back for the pack. For me.” His eyes were bright with tears. “I don’t want to lose you.”
tags: ren

Andrea Cremer
“I turn to see Ansel leaning against the door frame. His eyes swept over the room.
"Whoa, Hurricane Naomi strikes, leaving no survivers.”
Andrea Cremer, Nightshade

11/28/2010 "LOVING IT!! I love the feeling of loyalty between all of them. I like how they all act as a pack and are the feared people at school, and.... Ren isnt so bad.. I like him better than Shay. Even if he seems like a sleazy player, I have somewhat found a soft spot for him :)" 1 comment
11/28/2010 "Is good, good, good. Still not feeling the love for Shay though. I just cant seem to like him. Im currently still team Ren. :P" 40 comments
09/14/2016 marked as: read

Petra (Safari Poet) I enjoyed this book too. Sorry, but I was glad she choose Shay.

Bianca lol, Normally im all for the heroine going against her family/pack/friends whatever for love but for some reason I didnt like Shay. I dont even know why I just didnt click with him. :)

Petra (Safari Poet) I think I like Shay because without him she wouldn't be finding out the truth, but at the same time I wouldn't say I'm Team Shay. Ren might not be as bad a guy as I think he is, but I couldn't get pass the fact that while Calla had to practically wear a chastity belt, Ren did what he liked knowing they would end up together. After reading this article, I think the next book is going to confuse me even more than I already am.

Bianca yes I agree that Im glad he opened her eyes to the truth, that is the good thing. Im glad he did that, she needed to know the truth.

Yep I hated the rules for Calla and how there were none for Ren, I thought that would suck. But he does care no matter how big of a get around/jerk he is. I thought it was really unfair about the rules.

Still Im team Ren :)

Bianca I read that article, I like what he says about Ren lol. How he is a bad boy but he has issues and stuff.

I am looking forward to the next one, yeah they introduced all the names and stuff quite quickly. I had to re read a bit to get my head around all the names.

Joyzi Aaaaaaaw I think I've fallen in love with Ren just reading your review, I haven't read this yet T_T

Bianca I loved the book. Even with Calla choosing Shay. I understand why she chooses him, it helps with the whole defy everything and learnt the truth plot. Whereas with Ren that would never have happened. Still I hope she ends up with Ren.

You should read it, its a good book. :) Haha yes Ren has something about him that has me hooked.

Joyzi I really wanna read it, maybe soon

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo This was a really great book but I kept getting really frustrated at how Calla would switch from one boy to the next. I do like how Shay helps her find the truth, or possible truth, about the Keepers and Searchers, but I was a Ren fan the entire time. He may have seemed like a 'bad boy' but as Ansel said "He's not as confident as he puts on-especially when it comes to you" and I loved that even though he had lived with his horrible father, deep down he is still a really sweet guy. I too hope that in one of the next two books she will finally see this and give him a fair chance to show his 'real' side.

Bianca Ha yes I felt the same way. I liked Shay but he just annoyed me. He seemed like the safe option to me and I just couldnt see myself choosing him. I understand why she did but as you said I was a Ren fan too. Yeah I loved it when Ansel said that. Ren acts like he doesnt care but he does. Especially about Calla. Same I hope she ends up with him and not Shay. :)

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Hawkins I am so team Ren!!!!!

brittany I'm reading this and I hate Shay.

Bianca Woooo more Ren fans! Awesome. :):)

brittany Yah Team Ren!!

message 16: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Team Ren! I too am hoping that she comes to her senses in Wolfsbane and winds back with Ren. I want more Ren in Wolfsbane and less Shay!

brittany Jessica Laroche-Cipriano-Belikov-Cullen wrote: "Team Ren! I too am hoping that she comes to her senses in Wolfsbane and winds back with Ren. I want more Ren in Wolfsbane and less Shay!"

Agreed!

Bianca Yess... Hopefully shay falls in a hole somewhere. and Ren gets a free pass and he and Calla live happily ever after. :):)

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Bianca wrote: "Yess... Hopefully shay falls in a hole somewhere. and Ren gets a free pass and he and Calla live happily ever after. :):)"

That would be perfect!

This would make an awesome movie! I vote for movie rights to be bought! Hell if I had the money I'd buy the movie rights, and I'd change the ending!!

Bianca haha same here!! I'll add my money and help!

We will make it so that he stays and her and Ren rebel together.

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Hahaaaa awesome!

brittany Count me in too!

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess A revolt against Shay...I love it!

brittany Yup! So many people hate Shay lol.

Bianca Hahaha, same here!

I know, I don't know what it is about him but I just don't find him that likeable.

(Cheers and jumps up and down!) Go the revolt against Shay!!!

brittany Hes a bore and hes pushy and clingy!

Yes everybody hates Shay!

message 27: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I tried really hard to like him, and there were some points when I thought okay you're a nice guy...and then it ended cos he'd make Calla do all this forbidden stuff, and it made me think, you really don't respect tradition or rules do you? So yeah, I tried, but the guy isn't as likable as Ren.

brittany Ha I hated him from the start. I was like na hes gay not liking him and then I really started hating him.

Bianca Yes, I thought oh he is boring go away, then (More serious angry face) No really go away please don't be the one Calla picks!

brittany And then she did! I was so mad!

message 31: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I don't get her facination I really don't The whole relationship was fueled on curiosity and nothing more!

brittany he was just a new toy to her

Bianca Thats what I reckon too!

message 34: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Something different outside of her normal life...still. She chose the wrong dude!

brittany Definitely!

Bianca exactly! Ren is the way to go. Hopefully he will show up and help her and win her heart in Wolfsbane.

brittany Bianca wrote: "exactly! Ren is the way to go. Hopefully he will show up and help her and win her heart in Wolfsbane."

I agree

message 38: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Bianca wrote: "exactly! Ren is the way to go. Hopefully he will show up and help her and win her heart in Wolfsbane."

All we can do it hope

Angela i disagree because if she went with Ren then that means she could have gotten killed by the keepers

Bianca Ohh I agree choosing Shay makes her more safe, I just don't like Shay thats all. I just like Ren better.

:D

Teresa totally agree about the whole ren vs shay thing.. choosing shay was essential to the plot but the entire time i was hoping the author would twist it so she ended up w ren. No such luck :(

Bianca I know. :( There is always hope though right? :D

Teresa haha definitely keeping the hope alive for her next book :)

Bianca Hahaha I hope we dont get dissapointed... Meh I hope Shay finds some other girl. :P

message 45: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy I am team REN too!!!!! He is so nice to calla and I think they would of been a great couple. I have nit read the 2nd and 3rd book yet but I just started the 2nd one. I hope something happens so ren and calla will be together. I think in the 1st book my favorite part was when callas dream happened and ren killed shay. I would of been so happy if that really happened. Shay is nice but He couldn't get over the fact calla was wit ren. He had to make a mess of things

Teresa After you finish the second book read the Bloodrose teaser online! it totally made me feel better about the whole calla ren situation.

Bianca Really?? I will have to read it. :D:D

Bianca Where is it might I ask?? Are you just talking about the blurb? I can't seem to find a teaser. :( (Must read it) :D

Bianca Ha thanks. :D

WOOOO REN!!!! Ha thank you, hopefully this confirms that my long lasted affliction for Ren has hopefully not been in vain. :) I feel loads better, pity the next book is ages away.

« previous 1