Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Magic Binds

Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews

4561998

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

The first thing that pops into my head whenever I finish a KATE DANIELS volume is that Ilona Andrews can’t possibly top what I just read. Ok, so maybe there’s a whole lot of EGAD-GAH-OOOH-WHEE-ZOWIE-EEP-OMG (!!!) that precedes my first coherent thought, but then a year goes by, I pick-up the next novel, and the author duo blows the previous installment out of the water. I’m not usually a book hugger however, MAGIC BINDS evoked such strong emotions in me that they bubbled over, and manifested physically.

Kate & Curran are in the thick of wedding planning madness, and the heroine’s reluctance to tackle all of her big day musts made me feel like a bridezilla in comparison which is funny because I was extremely blasé about my nuptials. Naturally, flowers and cake tasting take a back seat when Roland starts breathing down their necks, Christopher pulls a fast one, and Julie cozies up to dear ol’ grandpa. The Andrews’ really covered ALL of their bases in this latest addition with answers and backstory aplenty!

Daniels’ efforts to piece together her lineage have been admirable, but several large gaps still remained. In this novel we learn about Roland’s pre-world domination days, and some light is shed on the rest of her family tree as well. Kate’s history linked-up nicely with her present because it helped to explain why she is currently battling with her “dark side”, and illustrated her potential paths as the princess of Shinar, granddaughter of Semiramis, niece of the City Eater, daughter of the Builder of Towers.

All of the nuggets of information that the authors unloaded on fans were reason enough to break out into song however, then there were the action montages, trademark snarky humour, and tender moments between the two protagonists which called for a full fledged musical performance. Ilona & Gordon could have quit while they were ahead, but instead they piled on an epic crusade, a close call for a much loved character, and a whooper of a last sentence that’ll keep bouncing around your brain until book 10.

MAGIC BINDS resonated so deeply that I felt it in my bones!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Binds.

Quotes Carmel (Rabid Reads) Liked

Ilona Andrews
“Only two kinds of people drink their coffee black: cops and serial killers.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Binds

18.0% "#currentlyreading"
September 16, 2016 –
September 18, 2016 –
September 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Irene Great review

Carmel (Rabid Reads) Thank you! <3

Monica I can't wait to read this. I loved your review.

Carmel (Rabid Reads) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!