Sophie's Reviews > Little Beauty

Little Beauty by Alison Jameson

Review also posted on my blog http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

The cover for Little Beauty is striking and stunning, which is exactly the way I would describe this novel. It’s the powerful story of Laura, made to feel unwelcome and like an outcast, returning home to Ireland, this time with the love of her son Matthew.

I loved Laura’s character straight away. Whilst she was being mistreat for her differences, I warmed to her and felt for her. She was lonely and isolated and I really wanted her to pull through. As for the other characters, I was always wary of them and so probably didn’t connect with them much at all. I thought Martin’s character was written so well – his attitude and approach to Laura made me really dislike him at first although my opinion on him did keep changing.

I’m not sure if told from any other author, Little Beauty would have had the same impact on me but Alison Jameson’s writing was spectacular. She really told this thought-provoking novel beautifully. I loved her portrayal of Ireland in that era because the culture, sayings and beliefs all felt real and well-researched. Not only was the plot compelling, Jameson’s writing felt believable and I could imagine being there, watching this story unfold myself.

Little Beauty was a very emotional, heart-breaking story although I did like the interlaced dark humour too. It was very captivating and incredibly moving - I never really knew how things were going to play out and provided you’re good at reading novels which have you choked up and with a lump in your throat, Little Beauty is a truly unforgettable novel.

4.5/5.

*Book gifted for honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Beauty.

Started Reading