Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Stand-Off

Stand-Off by Andrew  Smith

bookshelves: liburrrrrry-book, read-in-2015, teenie-bopper-books

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“In his senior year at Pine Mountain Academy, Ryan Dean West came to appreciate things that he’d tried to resist, and one of those things was change.”

Let’s begin this review by noting that it might potentially piss some people off, shall we????

Chicago commercial photographers

So yeah. Don’t bother trolling. I have zero of the f*@s to give when it comes to haters of Andrew Smith.

Stand-Off was probably not a great book. But again, I am giving zero of the f*&^s today so it gets 4 Stars anyway. Let’s put a disclaimer or an asterisk in here – these aren’t 4 regular Kelly and Mitchell Stars, they are 4 MOM (boooo hiss, right?) Stars. When I read Winger I felt it was written for me – a grown-up who likes to read “kid” books. When I read Stand-Off it was clear from the start I was reading something that was written for my oldest son.

In this sequel Ryan Dean is a Senior (albeit a 15 year old Senior) who finds himself assigned the next Ryan Dean (a/k/a Sam Abernathy – another 12 year old genius who is starting at Pine Mountain) as his roommate. Ryan Dean doesn’t have time to be the mentor to young Sam, though. He has plenty of things to occupy his time already. His studies – which are on the super creepy side due to the selection of instructors at Pine Mountain, his girlfriend Annie Altman, the rugby team, and this guy he’s been calling Nate (the Next Accidental Terrible Experience). You see, after the loss of Ryan Dean’s BFF Joey, he just has a feeling more awful is waiting in the wings . . . .

What everyone just couldn't understand was the fact that Ryan Dean West was not going to make friends with anyone else this year. What’s the point in friendship? When bad things happen to your friends, it hurts worse than if it was your own heart breaking.”

At that point I was feeling kinda like this . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

Alright, so as a Mom (boo hiss) reading this second book I was thinking how this sequel (like most sequels) probably really wasn’t necessary and the actual issue of the PTSD or whatever Ryan Dean was experiencing wasn’t really dealt with in a realistic way (with the lack of parental knowledge and one therapy session and zero details about treatment and yada yada yada), but as a mother of a teenaged boy this book WAS. SO. IMPORTANT.

Andrew Smith has received a serious amount of flak for not writing quality female characters. Here’s the deal. As a mother of boys I’m telling you I need writers like Andrew Smith to write quality MALE characters. And he does it. One author can’t save the damn world – let him excel at what he is great at and leave the rest to a different kind of writer.

Ryan Dean West was kind of an asshole. Guess what? My kid . . . . sometimes kind of an asshole. Ryan Dean was a puny little pee-on who had a sudden growth spurt over the summer and returned to school as potentially hot. Same with my kid. Amazing what gaining a couple of inches in height and losing all your babyfat can do to get serious name recognition in the hallways of the local middle school. Ryan Dean West suffered from inexplicable boners at the most inopportune time and embarrassing homework assignments like giving himself a “TSE” (that’s testicular self-exam, for the layman). Ryan Dean had to deal with friends coming out of the closet and was simply amazing and perfect and accepted them immediately and assured them that he would never spill any beans they would not be comfortable being spilt. Ryan Dean also had a girlfriend that he was sooooo ready to go ALL. THE. WAY. with, but he worried about mutual consent and making sure he obtained said mutual consent before making any sudden moves. And Ryan Dean played sports. A lot. Which, to be honest, Kelly and Mitchell were not superfans of reading about, but again in Mom (boo hiss) world, this was another major selling point to the manchild who isn’t a huge fan of book reading (unless those books are comic books). Also, dear NFL players – quit being pussies. These rugby dudes do what you do and they do it without HELMETS FFS!

Chicago commercial photographers

Anyway, rant over. Haters gonna hate, but when it comes to me and Andrew Smith I want him to . . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

and I thank him for writing young men like Ryan Dean and their realistic (although sometimes terrifying for a Mom (boo hiss) to read about) voices.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

This is out today. I have it. I LOOOOOOVED Winger and I love Andrew Smith and have gotten into interweb battles when haters were trying to besmirch his honor. I also hardly ever read the second book in a series because they always suck . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stand-Off.

June 9, 2014 – Shelved
June 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 8, 2015 – Started Reading
September 8, 2015 –
19.0% ""Then, very gently, he placed the #10 jersey on my lap... It hadn't been washed since the last time Joe wore it... I could almost see Joey there in my hands. I could smell him in the jersey."\n \n Chicago commercial photographers \n \n NO! (Yes)"
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: liburrrrrry-book
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: teenie-bopper-books
September 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 2: by MLE (new)

MLE  Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Ohhhhhh Saved By The Bell gif, how I love thee!"

It certainly takes me back.

message 4: by MLE (new)

MLE  Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Oh yes, Zach was one of my first non-cartoon crushes ;)"

He wasn't my first, but he was one of the early ones.

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Oh yes, Zach was one of my first non-cartoon crushes ;)"

Mine too!

Edward Lorn Damn mail is running late today. Grrrrr....

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "My first FIRST crush was on animated 'The Joker' LOL"

That's different, haha.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Edward wrote: "Damn mail is running late today. Grrrrr...."

Sorry : (

I'm 13% in and not loving it so far . . . send alcohol!

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* Don't worry, I understand. :P

message 12: by MLE (last edited Sep 08, 2015 11:21AM) (new)

MLE  Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Edward wrote: "Damn mail is running late today. Grrrrr...."

Sorry : (

I'm 13% in and not loving it so far . . . send alcohol!"

description

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy That's so true. Why must second books always suck like that?! I think authors sign a contract that says "sucky second book required".

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Stacy wrote: "That's so true. Why must second books always suck like that?! I think authors sign a contract that says "sucky second book required"."

It seems like that sometimes . . . lots of times - most of the time.

31% in and still not loving it. Boooooohoooooo : (

Joshua Norgaard Just finished it it was a huge letdown I can't believe how bad it was compared to the last book

Joshua Norgaard It sucked so badly I felt like it wasn't even the original author

Joshua Norgaard And the pictures don't even look like they were even drawn by him

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Great review. I have to read Winger someday, it seems that every one of my friends loved it :D

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Great review. I have to read Winger someday, it seems that every one of my friends loved it :D"

Thanks Alienor! Winger was definitely one of the best books I read in 2014 and it totally is a stand-alone novel so you don't have to read this one unless you REALLY want to.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Great review. I have to read Winger someday, it seems that every one of my friends loved it :D"

Thanks Alienor! Winger was definitely one of the best books I re..."

Oh, good to know!! I will then :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Karly : )

message 24: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Loves Books Great review, Kelly!!

message 26: by Anne (new)

Anne I've got weird assholish boys. Will I like this one?

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Have you read Winger? You pretty much have to read that one first in order to get what's going on in this one.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Oh, and I'd say it's a coin toss about liking this one even if you have read Winger. I appreciated the direction the character went (since I'm a mom - boo hiss), but if it didn't trigger that button I would have probably given it 2.5 Stars rounded up to 3.

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) Excellent review, Kelly! I completely agree that Andrew Smith writes teen boys well. I do think that this book will do well with most teens. I think that my teenage daughter will love it.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Carole wrote: "Excellent review, Kelly! I completely agree that Andrew Smith writes teen boys well. I do think that this book will do well with most teens. I think that my teenage daughter will love it."

Thanks Carole! I agree boys and girls could/should equally appreciate Smith's writing. I just don't think he should feel obligated to write something he's not good at. I mean really, he's pretty much a one-trick pony with the "coming of age of a 15 year old boy" stories. I happen to love them, but I can understand why others don't.

message 31: by Anne (new)

Anne Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Have you read Winger? You pretty much have to read that one first in order to get what's going on in this one."

Ok, no. I'll back it up and head that way, then...

message 32: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (last edited Sep 09, 2015 08:24PM) (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Great review. I have to read Winger someday, it seems that every one of my friends loved it :D"

*Ahem* I will say no more since Kelly obviously loved these books, and I'm trying to be nice here. :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ron needs to learn how to read right before he chimes in ; )

(But in all honesty this book was notsagreat)