Sarah Potter's Reviews > Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps: How We're Different and What to Do About It

Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps by Allan Pease

This is a most illuminating, fascinating, and potentially life-changing read. I only wish this book had been available when I was young, so I could have been more patient with people generally, whichever sex they were. I'd no idea how at the mercy of hormones we all are, even before we're born.According to this book, male and female brains are wired up so differently that it's amazing that the two sexes get on as well as they do.

There's a must-do quiz that measures on a scale how male or female you are. I was only 10 marks from the middle grey-area, which meant that my chances of get along with those of the opposite sex as friends was greatly increased!

Two words of warning:

Some feminists might find the book hard to stomach, even though it appears to be based on actual science; albeit most amusingly presented.

Some reader might be forced to let go of some entrenched prejudices about people's sexuality.

And one last note for the writers amongst us -- the book is a wonderful source of material for constructing gender-authentic characters, especially if you're going to write from the viewpoint of someone of the opposite sex to yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps.

June 9, 2014 – Started Reading