Ari's Reviews > What Momma Left Me

What Momma Left Me by Renée Watson

2519179
Mar 28, 2010

I own a copy

Right away you know this novel is going to put a unique and heartbreaking twist on the motherless child story. Serenity's father killed her mother. Serenity and Danny know that he did it but they think maybe he doesn't realize that he actually KILLED their mother and that's why he hasn't come back. They keep hoping their father will come back for them. I was taken by surprise by what happened concerning their father.There are signs that Danny is turning into his father, always angry and heading down the wrong path. There are also signs that Serenity is turning into her mother, passive and a keeper of secrets. The book focuses mostly on Serenity but since she is so close to her brother we get to see his growth (the good and the bad) clearly. Something I really loved was the relationship between Serenity and Jay. Jay is the 8th grade version of a "bad boy", but he's complex and their relationship (if you can call that) is refreshingly realistic. they don't go too fast for 8th graders and Serenity is not always comfortable going out with a "bad boy."

The cover is a bit misleading. It's absolutely adorable. Almost too adorable due to subject matter and that the book is for middle grade readers. The cover makes it look like something for elementary school students. However I love having Serenity on the cover holding a cake :) I wasn't expecting the book to have such a Christian bent but it wasn't that big deal, especially since Serenity is questioning her faith which is something everyone does. Each chapter is headlined by a word or two from the Our Father. I don't think this added anything to the story, it would have been nice if it connected to the content in the chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Momma Left Me.

02/07/2016 marked as: read