Peter's Reviews > No Man's Nightingale

No Man's Nightingale by Ruth Rendell

it was ok

Twenty-four books into the series and Wexford is retired. Burden has taken over Wexford's office and the stage is set for an interesting look at the conflicts and complications that could arise as both Burden and Wexford juggle their new-found roles as friends. Sadly, to me anyway, the attempt to create conflict, crisis and even co-operation between these two was weak in this novel. Ruth Rendell sets up an interesting crime, and she still is a master of plot, red-herrings and the creation of interesting characters, but Wexford is not interesting in his new role as retired, as a grandfather, and as man about the house.

I'm glad that Wexford appears to be keeping his hand in the solving of crimes, and I'm glad that Rendell did not kill him off to end his days on the force, but I think the Wexford series, if it is to continue, needs to have more edge and less of a the cosy, slippers and telly feel to the writing.

I did find the exploration of what it must be like for Wexford to be retired and yet still of great value to the police to be both fascinating and full of promise. It just seemed, at least to me, that the possibility was greater than the presentation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Man's Nightingale.

Started Reading