Krista Ashe's Reviews > Anne Boleyn: A New Life of England's Tragic Queen

Anne Boleyn by Joanna Denny

Mar 28, 2010

bookshelves: my-110-of-2010-books

** spoiler alert ** So, I'm total Tudor history nerd, and I love anything about Henry VIII and his wife, especially Anne Boleyn and Queen Elizabeth I. I found this book at the library and was immediately smitten b/c I loved seeing a new take on Anne's life. The more I got into it the more I was amazed. Instead of the scheming, conniving, seducer of a king, here was a woman educated in the French court who was really more interested in her faith(moving along Lutheranism) than she was becoming queen. In this book, Anne is portrayed as someone at first not keen on the King's interest in her, especially since Henry had tossed her sister aside after tiring of her. At times, Anne even saw herself as somewhat of a Esther sent to deliver her people from the clutches of a corrupt religion. After time, she did fall somewhat in love with Henry, but it was never about seducing him or using "witchcraft". If she was ever power hungry, it wasn't for the crown, but it was about religion. I found this new view of her very cool, especially as she found herself a born again Christian.

So, basically, anti-Protestant men like Chapyus helped rewrite history against Anne almost to the extent of the trumped up charges that sent her to the Tower and had her beheaded.

This was a very different view of a lot of what I have read about Anne. I also checked out the mammoth David Starkey's Six Wives of Henry VIII, so we'll see if the same evidence is presented, or if it's the same tried and true blackening of Anne's name and character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne Boleyn.