Ann 's Reviews > A River in the Sky

F 50x66
Mar 28, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from April 05 to 11, 2010

I happily received this uncorrected proof copy of A River in the Sky, Amelia Peabody's 19th archeology mystery-adventure, as a First-Reads giveaway.
This story is presented as two 1910 journal accounts, one by Amelia Peabody and the other by her now adult son, Ramses. It is introduced in a foreword as their accounts of an adventure that chronologically occur between 2 previously published novels, Guardian of the Horizon (1907-08) and The Falcon at the Portal (1911). The mystery contains most of the main characters from previous Peabody adventures and adds new countries and archeology sites to explore, spies, religious conflict in the Middle East and the growing influence of Germany in a pre-WWI world.
While I have not read some of Elizabeth Peters' most recent Amelia Peabody adventures I found it was not difficult to fall back into this easy to read and entertaining series. Peters' presentation of her characters in a journal form allows readers to feel as if they are catching up with old friends. Makes me want to go back and find those "journals" I have missed and escape again to a world of archeologists, mysteries and far away lands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River in the Sky.