Anna (Enchanted by YA)'s Reviews > Thorn Abbey

Thorn Abbey by Nancy Ohlin

This mysteriously beautiful cover deceived me. The book is nothing on this cover and was instead in a word: amateurish.

There should be no such thing as alternative retellings of books, unless they are completely different. But then it wouldn’t be a retelling would it? Anyway, I hadn’t actually read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier before this book, and didn’t plan too and this book instead of intriguing me to read it screamed no!

The plot could have worked, it really could. But it didn’t. The writing just wasn’t up to par and instead contained all of my little bookish pet peeves. For instance I am a big believer that insta-love SHOULD NOT EXIST because it’s more unrealistic than the ghosts that the actual book is about; it just doesn’t happen. Thorn Abbey was even worse because it was taken to a creepy obsession after the first meeting when they didn’t even talk. Max ignored her, and it should have ended there. Another pet peeve was the ignorant female protagonist, because when you want to scream or hurl the book in frustration it’s not a good sign. Then there was the friends warning the girl off the guy thing, where she completely ignores them anyway. It is Universal Girl’s Law that girlfriends come before guys, it’s why ex’s are off limits but someone needed to Tess that. Oh wait! They did and she just didn’t listen.

The setting itself was actually pretty interesting, there was something about the atmosphere that was intriguing and I do love books centred on a boarding school. But the characters let it down. Tess in particular who was spineless and reeked of desperation. Her inner dialogue had me hitting my head against the wall. But so did the other girls who were seriously offensive stereotypes. Not every teenage girl is a vain, pompous bitch who thinks of nothing but sex and money. Where did Nancy Ohlin get these stereotypes by the way?

Anyway, I digress, my point of this is that you will not get anything out of reading Thorn Abbey, instead it might be good to try Daphne Maurier’s Rebecca, but I won’t because this has ruined it for me.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn Abbey.

June 8, 2014 – Started Reading
June 8, 2014 – Shelved
June 8, 2014 –
page 78
25.66% "I'm already fed up with this female protagonist... She is taking needy to a whole new level"
June 9, 2014 – Shelved as: almost-dnf