Killian Brewer's Reviews > Designs on You

Designs on You by Carrie Pack

32079857

Designs On You, by first-time author Carrie Pack, doesn’t feel like a “first timer’s” book. The development of plot, character and theme is very well handled and sustained throughout the narrative. In Scott, Jamie, and Preston, I was especially pleased to find gay male characters that felt like real people I have known, not some idealized version of a guy (even the “idealized” guy). This character development is appropriate since one of the major themes of the book is the interplay between image and reality, perception and fact, delusion and honesty.
These themes are one of the more appealing aspects of the book which moves it beyond just a “boy meets boy” tale. Ms. Pack is playing with some pretty heady stuff here as Scott struggles with merging the idealized and perfect person from his computer screen with the real and less-than-perfect person he meets in real life. Like the main character, the reader wants to know more about the boy in the photograph as well. I also love the irony of Scott being able to photoshop Jamie's picture to make him more "perfect" but having to learn the "imperfect" parts of the real person.
That is not to say there isn’t a sweet and sexy romance underneath it all. The attraction the boys feel in the book makes sense, even touching on the sometimes shallow things we are attracted to but try to convince ourselves are more meaningful. The flirty dance between the main characters feels realistic and I found myself rooting for this pair to figure it out. The more “adult” scenes in the book also read very honest and feel like they are a necessary part of the narrative, not just naughty for naughty’s sake.
Ms. Pack also does an great job building the friends around the pair and the world they live in, giving her characters a chance to develop as more than just “Man A and Man B.”
I would highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a fun, funny and sexy story that will also encourage you to think.
My only complaint? It ended too soon! When do we get a sequel?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Designs on You.

June 7, 2014 – Shelved