Caitlin O'Sullivan's Reviews > Dracula the Un-Dead

Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker

Mar 27, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: horror, vampires, annoyed_me

Written by a Stoker family member and a Dracula researcher/screenwriter . . . and it shows. Between infodumps (I sometimes felt like I was reading a nonfiction combination of a Walking Guide to London, The Real Story of Dracula!, and The Real Story of Jack The Ripper!) and telling-not-showing description (please, please stop telling me about how much Quincy Harker resents Johnathan Harker) I was ready to chuck this book at the wall by about page 80. I kept reading, in hope that it would get better, but it didn't.

If you are a serious Dracula nerd, you may find some enjoyment in the in-jokes sprinkled through the pages, but if you're not a fanboy, look elsewhere for your vampire fix. I'd suggest Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, or Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist if you're looking for nonsparkly vampires, or Grace Hammer, by Sara Stockbridge, if you want turn-of-the-century London without the annoying "look at my research!" attitude.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula the Un-Dead.

March 27, 2010 – Shelved
March 27, 2010 – Shelved as: horror
March 27, 2010 – Shelved as: vampires
Started Reading
March 28, 2010 –
page 188
44.34% "Dacre and Ian: 1. It's lovely that you've done research. Please don't repeat all of it for me. 2. STOP TELLING AND START SHOWING!"
March 28, 2010 – Finished Reading