Ingo's Reviews > Midnight Crossroad

8842081

liked it
bookshelves: to-read, filmed-as-movie-tv
Recommended for: Fans of Charlene Harris, Sookie Stackhouse

Picked this up when I saw the first trailer for Midnight, Texas - a TV series loosely based on the books. Like with the Sookie Stackhouse books and the True Blood TV-series, the books are slower, not so overwhelmingly overloaded (a reason why I paused True Blood after Season 3, buying the Blu-ray-Sets and having not watched it since). But slower does not necessarily mean bad nor good.
This is set in the same Universe as Sookie, variants of the same creatures and Harper (from another book series) is even once mentioned.
Having watched the first 5 Episodes, the TV-series is again rather overloaded, too much happening in the last episode, and too much at the same time. It looks to me as if they pressed events from this book and the possible next 2-4 in these 5 episodes. Half of it would have been enough for me. Also the constant switching between the different storylines (although happening at the same time) was rather annoying.
In the books the approach is better, switching POV chapter-wise. But also less suspense, and were the TV-Show has too much, this book has more inner monologue and thoughts of the POV-Person, not really much happening. Would have liked a mixture of the TV-Show and the Book, more action, more suspense.
Recommended, 3 solid stars. May be the next books will be better, but as I have read all 4 Harper Connely books, some Sookie Stackhouse and most Aurora Teagarden (sort of like Agatha Christie, but in USA and in our time), I doubt it. That is not bad, if you know what you want and like the world Harris created.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Crossroad.

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ingo Meh! Reading this review a few hours after, and thinking about the book, as I will probably watch the TV till Season end, this begs the question: will I read (and buy) the next book in the series?
Truth be told, I do not feel it. The characters are interesting, but the story reads more like daily life than crime, mystery, suspense, and action. If I want that, I still have not finished the Sookie-Series, one book already bought of it (maybe more).

Still feel sad about the scrapped project (TV-mini-series) Harper Connely, would really have liked to see that one. And 4 books should be enough for 13 or 21 Episodes (like 3 episodes per book). And then it should end.
These overlong series all jump the shark at some point.
Still waiting for Supernatural to end, so I can buy a box-set and re-watch the whole series (the Felicia Day episodes I have watched 3 times at least, sniff).
Oh, wow, way OT here, whatever.