Drew Graham's Reviews > Loves Music, Loves to Dance

Loves Music, Loves to Dance by Mary Higgins Clark

Mar 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: me

My wife likes the occasional MHC, so she recommended I give one of them a try. I asked for a suggestion, and this is the one she came up with. Darcy Scott and Erin Kelley are BFFs from their college days, and they both agree to answer a series of personal ads to help a friend who is doing a documentary on the subject for a television program. When Erin's murdered body appears in the city, Darcy does her best to discover who the killer is before he strikes again, not even realizing that his next mark might be her!

I'm sort of new to the murder-mystery genre, but I had a vague idea of what to expect from this book, and it more or less delivered. It's definitely a style that more people will prefer than others, but it was a nice, pretty quick read, and the puzzle was fun to put together. There was a nice array of characters, though in many ways they were kind of alike. I am glad to say that I guessed who the killer was about 2/3 of the way through (some people are more clever about these things, but I thought that was pretty good for my first one!). The ending was exciting and had me turning pages pretty quickly. I didn't love how most of the marriages presented were either failed or failing, but I liked the device of personal ads throughout--it added a nice, constant element of suspense. There were a few nicely-placed red herrings along the way, though I found them to be obvious distractions from the real killer. The writing isn't fanTASTic, and there were some really odd turns of phrase that just sounded clunky and unnatural, and seriously, I do NOT need to know EVERY detail about what EVERY character is wearing in EVERY scene. Basically, this is a world where mostly beautiful people sit around having brunch and drinking wine and wearing ankle boots and cashmere capes and calling a hunky single psychiatrist "a doll".

This was a fun read and a spooky little murder mystery, but it's probably not exactly my thing, and I don't think I'll be needing to dive into any more MHC books anytime very soon. She does do something quite remarkable though, in making every character sound like a 60-year-old woman (even a 15-year-old boy!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loves Music, Loves to Dance.

March 27, 2010 – Shelved