Dawn's Reviews > The Ark

The Ark by Annabel Smith

Jun 06, 2014

I have been lucky enough to read an advance copy of Annabel Smith's third novel, and it's such an exciting project. The narrative itself deals with a small group of people who are sealed away from the outside world in a bunker under Mt Koziusko with the aim of protecting not just themselves, but a collection of millions of seeds. In many ways, the premise reminded me of Hugh Howey's 'Wool'.

This is a modern take on the epistolary novel. The narrative is told through a variety of documents, emails and instant messaging, from inhabitants of The Ark. What this does so well, with the variety of first person, unreliable narrators, is create a mounting sense of tension, as the reader is kept in the dark as to what is really going on inside and who they can trust.

What is even more exciting is that the author plans to release this novel as an interactive app. I have read just the text of the narrative, but it will work perfectly for digital media. I recently listened to a running app which involved a post-apocalyptic story written in conjunction with Margaret Atwood, and like that, The Ark is demonstrates a different way of telling stories in the digital age.

This is a clever and compelling story, and an innovative and exciting example of non-traditional story telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ark.

June 6, 2014 – Shelved