C.G. Drews's Reviews > She Is Not Invisible

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2014, young-adult, ya-without-romance

So I had an absolutely awesome time reading this and maybe it's not perfect but I DON'T EVEN CARE. It made me happy. I'm giving it 4-stars, but it should be 4.5 really....

It's about a blind girl and her little brother and comics and writers and 354 and missing fathers and prejudice against disabilities. It's amazing. It was so well written and so, so clever. For instance, the number 354 features really hugely in the book and do you know what page the book ends on? THAT'S RIHT: 354. How clever is that?! And I'm a sucker for books that deal with a minority, in this case, blindness. I like to try and experience these things. My life is tied up in seeing, so I cannot imagine living without site. The narrator, Laureth, has never seen anything. Can you imagine writing a book without describing ANYTHING?! It would be hard. This author gets every gold sticker ever.

Laureth is a really likeable narrator. She starts off the book by admitting she's kidnapping her little brother (hooky first sentence too, by the way). She knows she's being stupid, but her dad is missing and she has to find him. (Her mother is kind of indifferent because the parents are fighting.) Laureth knows she can't do things by herself, being blind, so she brings along Benjamin who is 7-years-old and adorable and very intelligent. The book is full of intelligent, well-written characters. I loved Laureth. I loved her need for independence but the reality that she quietly admitted that..she was scared and her "calmness" was just a show. LET ME HUG YOU, CHILD. Even the really minor characters were well fleshed out. (Like the 12yrs Michael who spoke in like a Dickens novel.)

Disabilities freak people out, and She Is Not Invisible really drew attention to that. It's sad, but true. A lot of people don't know how to react when they see a blind person. It really broke my heart when people would be friendly to Laureth...until they realised she was blind. Then they'd quickly exit. SO WRONG. Lemme shake my fist. The blindness was well written, and, like I said, nothing was described. But yet the entire book was perfect. Awesome, huh?!

Okay...I do have a few negatives. There's this thing with Benjamin that's (view spoiler)and I wasn't sold. Then there's a lot of talk about the science and history behind "coincidence" and theories and complicated reasons and while it was well explained...I got lost. Which is easily done, I admit. There were just parts I wasn't so interested in because I wanted to get back to the finding-the-dad-thing.

I loved this book. I loved walking around in Laureth's shoes and I loved the writing and I particularly loved the family sweetness. SIBLINGS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Is Not Invisible.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Marcus Sedgwick
“One final time I told myself I wasn't abducting my little brother.”
Marcus Sedgwick, She Is Not Invisible

June 5, 2014 – Shelved
June 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2014 – Started Reading
August 12, 2014 –
page 200
56.5% "SO GET THIS:\n This book is about coincidences. \n My dad and I were talking randomly about comics this morning (we never do) and specifically about a blind hero. \n Later, I picked this book to read specifically because it has to go back to the library soon.\n THEN. The book turned out to be about coincidences and mentioned the superhero we were talking about.\n OH MY GOSH, OKAY?!!!"
August 13, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 13, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
August 13, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 13, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Sounds interesting. I love books with blind main characters (okay, so I've only read like, two, but still). It's so...just...cool. I mean it's sad and all, but still. Cool. If you know what I mean.

C.G. Drews I know what you mean! Sad. But cool. It's good for research, right?! ;)

C.B. Cook This sounds really cool! I'm definitely going to be checking it out.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review!
I have to say I enjoyed this book a lot. The coincidence thing and the dad's notebook kinda got on my nerves because I wanted the book to carry on!
OMG, i didn't realise the 354-page thingy!!!!!!!!!!
OH, but i was actually bothered to put the first words of each chapter together and it formed an actual sentence, ( i can't remember) was that a coincidence or what?

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for January. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...