Patrick Brown's Reviews > Men Explain Things to Me

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit

The titular first essay is required reading for humans, especially men. I enjoyed (is that the right word?) the rest of the book as well, though I felt the essays were best when they were most direct. My only quibble with the book is that the essays weren't meant to appear together, which led to some unfortunate repetition, right down to quotes from primary sources that appear in multiple essays. Still well worth the time.

One note: The best part about reading this as a book? No comments section. You forget how great it is to read someone's ideas without a chorus of nutters shouting at them from the comments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men Explain Things to Me.

June 5, 2014 – Shelved
June 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2014 – Started Reading
June 24, 2014 –
page 17
June 25, 2014 –
page 120
92.31% "First few essays were great but lots of repetition after that. Probably the result of essays being combined that were created to stand alone."
June 25, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael You're wrong about the comments thing!

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka And you're going to prove it?

Patrick Brown no1curr

P-eggy (semi-hiatus, semi-a Harlequin life I hope you aren't envisaging GR without a comments section? Us nutters need a place to rant!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Totally agreed about the comments! I've learned to avoid them because they make me feel so very negative about humanity.

Nicole Maria I was thinking about the comments thing, too. I need to read more feminist and other political works as books rather than internet essay because, it's easy to say "I won't read the comments" but curiosity is a very strong force.

Nicole Maria *internet essays

message 8: by Don (new)

Don H.M Does no one realize the irony of leaving comments in a comments section talking about why you avoid comments sections.

Christina Billhartz I will say, I was definitely not a fan of the Virginia Woolf essay and I didn't think it fit well with that theme of the book. Other than that, the book was an amazing read!