Reggie's Reviews > Slash

Slash by Slash

Nov 26, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: anyone who owned a copy of Appetite for Destruction on cassette
Read in December, 2007

I have to believe the pitch to the Harper Collin publishing house went something like this: Tommy Lee "wrote" two books, I am sober an average of 5% of the time these days, Scott Weiland is a mess again, and Axl is still working on Chinese democracy somehwere . . . so yeah, I want to write a book. What's that, you say you love the idea? Great. Make sure the ghost writer likes to drink. Oh yeah, and about the money . . . .

The book is definitely lacking a cohesive narrative structure and the grammar can be abysmal at times, but what did you expect? One of the more annoying examples of such problems is the fact that the book is littered with the statement "but we'll get to that later" placed at the end of certain pargraphs as almost an afterthought. I can't help but wonder how much better this book would have been if Neil Strauss had been the one helping Slash out.

Don't get me wrong, some of the stories in this book are great. I won't go as far as to say that on a whole they rival those found in The Dirt, but there are some good ones. The story of Slash's one man pre-party prior to his attempt to meet up with Steven Adler at an Arizona golf resort for some self imposed "rehab" was particulary entertaining. On the musical side of things, the stories about how some of the old G n' R staples were written and recorded are also interesting. The description of the recording method employed for Rocket Queen is especially insightful.

If W. Axl ever happens to write a book with his version of the events, I suspect that coupling it with this work would make a great topic for one of those compare and contrast essays we all had to write freshman year of high school. I might even consider reenrolling to write said essay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slash.

10/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Kramer Certainly one of your more entertaining reviews. But I have to ask...were you surprised by Slash's remarks that "We'll get to that later"? Because has any band left a more unfinished legacy than G N'R? Think about it, no one died, no one killed anyone, no shit album (Spaghetti Incident might be arguable here) and apart from some minor stints in rehab and axyl being a big bitch the band just sorta stopped. In fact, this phrasing actually makes a lot of sense and I damn the rock gods, every time I listen to the opening riffs of Paradise City, or Sweet Child, or November Rain and I'm left wondering about what could have been...Hugh!!!!

message 2: by Reggie (last edited Oct 28, 2009 09:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reggie Your point that none of the band members died is actually pretty insightful. Obvious, but almost overlooked.

Based on the contents of this book, whether the band "killed" anyone is probably debatable to the same degree (if not a greater degree) than your point regarding the Spaghetti Incident is. The hangers-on begin dropping like flies from the day the band gets together. Apparently you have to have musical talent to withstand the amount of smack, crack, and Jager these guys ingested.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Kramer I'm fairly certain that Susan will soon removing both you, I, and likey her husband, as goodreads "friends".