Andrea's Reviews > Blackbringer

Blackbringer by Laini Taylor

Mar 26, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, adventure, fantasy, youngadult, favorites

Magie Windwitch is much more adventurous than most faeries. Accompanying her scholarly parents around the world to record dying magics, she becomes a devil hunter with a merry band of crows. When she discovers a loosed devil that seems different than all of the rest, she returns home for the first time in 80 years to get answers.

I was reluctant to start this because as much as I love Susanna Clarke's fae, I was growing kind of tired of the teen faery sagas I'd run across lately. This story was completely different. The fairies are old world, earthy and mostly uninterested in "mannies" (humans). The world and system of magic are perfectly developed. The characters are favorites. I loved this book for inspiring my sense of wonder and adventure. All that being said, the ending is a little "fairy tale," but who can begrudge such wonderful creatures a happy ending?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbringer.

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna I loved another book by Laini Taylor - Lips Touch: Three Times. So good. I'm going to try this one soon. Thanks for the review!

Andrea I'll have to keep my eye out for it! There's no YA librarian in the Mobile system, so the collection is kind of grim. They mostly just collect things that win major awards or spawn tv shows it seems. As a result, I spend a lot of time waiting for YA paperbacks or browsing used bookstores for gems while they're still hardbacks, but I do have a birthday coming up. :)

Christina I'm so glad you liked it! I absolutely loved Blackbringer, and its sequel is just as good. Laini Taylor is <3!!

Andrea Yeah I've really enjoyed everything I've read for her so far. Right now I'm re-reading this one for Scarlet's Journey of the Hero class.