Kirstie Ellen's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, paranormal

4.5/5 stars

Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This book was awesome!! I’m so pleased that I finally read it. I totally understand now why everyone obsesses over Taylor’s books - she’s a magnificent author. If feel like this is a series that I can’t form a proper opinion of until I finish the entire series, however. There are so many things I’m waiting IMPATIENTLY for to be resolved!! Fantastic characters and paranormal aspects, though!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone
This book was not what I was expecting from it — it was so much better. The story is paranormal fantasy set in Prague which is WONDERFUL and DIFFERENT. We have an interesting battle between good and evil (sort of) in the form of angels and monsters (basically).

The story, however, follows a human girl by the name of Karou who has been taken in by a group of said monsters — a.k.a. “chimaera” — and raised by them. She’s very artistic and badass and totally awesome. She balances a double life doing dirty work for the monsters who collect teeth. Why? Because they make wishes from teeth. It’s actually very cool so don’t quirk your eyebrow thank you very much.

The story is complicated and quite twisty and we get some nice close-up time with an attractive “seraphim” (the angels) by the name of Akiva. There’s almost a bit of insta-love but it’s done well, isn’t actually insta-love and is written by Laini Taylor so shush.

The Setting
I really enjoyed the unique setting of this book, yes. But more importantly the way the story is set up is that there are portals from the monster world into the human one (and vice versa) that allow for instant travel to and from different places all over the world.

This means we, us globally depraved young adult readers, are finally given a taste of diversity! Diverse settings, in any case. The book leaps wonderfully through many different places and splashes magic around where it goes and I loved it.

The Characters
I really liked Karou — she’s honestly a really fun and interesting main character. I do have a bit of a soft spot for artistic characters though (A.G. Howard, I blame you) because they’ve got a nice excuse to explain things poetically.

But aside from that there are some wicked side characters. Kaz, Karou’s ex-boyfriend is quite the character and a bit of extra fun. ZUZANAH THOUGH. Oh my, Zuzanah is the shit. She’s feisty, awesome, a BFF to die for and wonderfully human. I’m so keen for the novella starring her.

Brimstone I also really liked (one of the monsters). He had a curious fatherly streak to him for someone so . . . fearsome-seeming. I don’t know, that was a bad explanation. MOVING ON.

What I Didn’t . . . Love
So a little spoiler section now!

(view spoiler)

Summary
An amazing book that is amazingly well-written. I cannot recommend this one enough — I mean, it’s practically royalty in the YA genre anyway. So you don’t need me to tell you it’s great.

Happy reading!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

June 4, 2014 – Shelved
June 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 25, 2017 – Started Reading
page 25
5.95% "#alphabethon I already love Karou - those itches XD XD"
page 60
14.29% "#alphabethon I like that Karou's monsters are nice . . . for now anyway"
page 100
23.81% "#alphabethon #plottwist"
October 26, 2017 –
page 165
page 200
47.62% "#alphabethon this is crazy good"
page 230