Naksed's Reviews > Running

Running by H.K. Carlton

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, mafia-romance, romantic-suspense, kick-ass-heroine
Read 3 times. Last read May 30, 2014.

I was a bit on the fence after reading the first book of the series, Always Cambridge, unsure whether I would continue with Book 2. After reading Running, I am SO GLAD that I stuck with it. I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to read the third installment Misfortune of Birth.

The thing that I don't like in general about series is that the sequels are not really an organic continuation of the original but merely repetition. A lot of them feel a bit like a cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of a book by adding another perspective that does not really add anything to the story or rehashing the same story with a few tweaks. This is absolutely not the case here. As much as I was sometimes discouraged by what seemed a bit of a snail's pace in Always Cambridge, I understand now what the author was trying to set up: A true saga where each chapter brings real character development, and the story evolves organically. And though the pace may at times seem slow, it is a necessary build up to the action. When the action sequences came, they really blew me away, and kept me interested to find out more.

I would not have enjoyed Running if I hadn't taken the time to get to know the main character in Always Cambridge. I would not appreciate how much she has evolved as a young adult if the author had not so meticulously laid out the events that made up her formative years, childhood through teen years. It was really amazing to see her character develop from a scared, unsure and wounded teen-ager in Always Cambridge to the strong and courageous young woman in Running. And she is a true heroine. She has so many character traits that are lacking in this genre. A very real, very endearing combination of insecurities and bravado, sensuality and naivety, duplicity and at the same time more integrity than any of her male counterparts. She was not a cardboard cut out "feisty" heroine who spews vulgarities and lets her libido make her life decisions, nor does she let herself be dominated by any of the strong male characters in the story, as attractive and dominant as they may be. She has led a life full of violence and horror, rejection and betrayal. Yet she remains positive. A bas la tristesse seems to be her motto. That's what I liked so much about her. Her fight to live, her proactive handling of her life and her fierce independence. She has dignity and integrity but she is not a goody two shoes. She is just an amazing character to follow and I can't wait to see where her story is going in the following books of the series.

As for the three main male characters, again, the author has managed to paint three alpha males with very distinct personalities and looks, each one of them with redeeming qualities and attractiveness but each one of them also with flaws. I am actually very glad there is none of that fall in love at first sight, you're the only one for me that is so prevalent in the romance genre. Again, I did not feel like they were cardboard cut outs but real, living, breathing men with a complex set of feelings towards the heroine. I was so drawn to every single one of them, and I thought the relationship each developed with the heroine was done masterfully. This is not a lewd story about a threesome or love triangle. It is the story of how a girl's relationships evolve as she evolves, from a first love that is so pure that it is idealized to a first adult relationship where she explores her body rather than her heart, and now with the third book, I can't wait to see what will transpire between the heroine and the man who seems that he will become her soulmate, both emotionally and physically.

I have not enjoyed a book series this much in a long time if ever. Counting the minutes til the release of Misfortune of Birth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running.

Finished Reading (Other ebook Edition)
Started Reading
May 30, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 3, 2014 – Shelved (Other ebook Edition)
June 3, 2014 – Shelved
June 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Other ebook Edition)
June 3, 2014 – Shelved (Other ebook Edition)
Started Reading (Other ebook Edition)
June 17, 2014 – Finished Reading (Other ebook Edition)
October 10, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
October 10, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance (Other ebook Edition)
October 13, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance (Other ebook Edition)
October 13, 2014 – Shelved as: suspense (Other ebook Edition)
January 1, 2015 – Shelved as: mafia-romance (Other ebook Edition)
January 1, 2015 – Shelved as: mafia-romance
January 1, 2015 – Shelved as: mafia-romance (Other ebook Edition)
April 26, 2015 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense (Other ebook Edition)
April 26, 2015 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
May 15, 2015 – Shelved as: kick-ass-heroine (Other ebook Edition)
May 15, 2015 – Shelved as: kick-ass-heroine

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

H.K. Carlton Thank you, Naksed! :D