Sean Barrs the Bookdragon's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: fantasy, children-of-all-ages, 5-star-reads

I’m yet to mention one of the most important characters in this series in a review. I’m, of course, talking about Severus Snape.

Severus, the unsung hero.

description

Severus, who sacrificed his own soul.

description

Severus, who loved another more than life itself.

description

Severus, the half-blood prince- the truth about his character was, and will likely always be, one of the most surprising twists I’ve ever read in fiction. The set up is all in this book.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

June 3, 2014 – Started Reading
June 3, 2014 – Shelved
June 11, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 7, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 7, 2015 – Shelved as: children-of-all-ages
February 13, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star-reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Laine The Librarian Literally after this book I was a big fan of Snape. At the end it literally broke my heart. I do like the movies, but I believe they just don't do justice to Snape like the books do.

message 2: by Lavon (new)

Lavon Youins I'm about to start an argument, Sean, but just because he did everything he did for the sake of protecting Harry and honored his mother's memory (the love of his life) didn't mean that he wasn't actively abusive towards Harry. He was. That wasn't a disguise. That was his personality, and I don't believe for a second that it wasn't a significant part himself that bullied a child, and most children.

message 3: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Always 😢😢😭😭

Lesley Dalgleish Lavon wrote: "I'm about to start an argument, Sean, but just because he did everything he did for the sake of protecting Harry and honored his mother's memory (the love of his life) didn't mean that he wasn't ac..."

I've always (get it) thought this too.

marie Lavon wrote: "I'm about to start an argument, Sean, but just because he did everything he did for the sake of protecting Harry and honored his mother's memory (the love of his life) didn't mean that he wasn't ac..."

Yes, and also I wouldn't call someone being obsessed with a dead person who ended the friendship with him and didn't speak to for like 7 years before her death, who was also married with a child, "true love"... that's just creepy

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Snape was always my favorite character too - he had dark sides but that made him more realistic. I think the bitterness twisted him. On the contrary to some other opinions, I found the dedication and loyalty to a woman he truly loved refreshing. Sometimes love does last, even if that ends up being tragic.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Snape was always my favorite character too - he had dark sides but that made him more realistic. I think the bitterness twisted him. On the contrary to some other opinions, I found the dedication a..."

Me too. It was undeniably true love. Snape's dark side only bespeaks it more. Imagine how he must felt all these years- dead inside and truly depressed. We can't walk in the light and deal with such emotions.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon marie wrote: "Lavon wrote: "I'm about to start an argument, Sean, but just because he did everything he did for the sake of protecting Harry and honored his mother's memory (the love of his life) didn't mean tha..."

Or is it devotion?

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Lavon wrote: "I'm about to start an argument, Sean, but just because he did everything he did for the sake of protecting Harry and honored his mother's memory (the love of his life) didn't mean that he wasn't ac..."

It's true. He was far from perfect, and he was never a nice guy, but he was still a hero in the end.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph The thing I really like about Snape is that he seems to be the only character in the entire series who chose which side of the conflict to support, even if he did so for reasons that were suspect at best -- everybody else, for better or for worse, was at birth issued either a white hat or a black hat and just stuck with it.

Mehrnaz you wrote about him what he deserves. I loved him from the first book. I don't know why but I somehow could feel the pain he was feeling inside...

Layla Saloona spoiler much?