Keysha's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Mar 24, 2010

bookshelves: in-my-bookshelf, read-in-2010

I must confess to you all that TIK is my first fairies book and for some reason I thought that I wasn't going to be able to read one because it never has interested me and well my knowledge about the foklore about the fey is very poor. But I couldn't help to read the book and not only beacuse its killer cover but because of the buzz it has been causing the last few months.I must say I had a very gratifying surprise because I had a greats expectations and must of them were met. It was a bit slow in the beginning and not to mention I felt that Meghan was a very weak character but after the first part of the book, it pick up nicely and I wasn't able to put it down.

At first I wasn't very happy with Meghan, I felt she was falling under the same category of the same kind of "heroine" in the book that all that she can do is complain, complain and complain but after a few (but lots of few) chapters she starts to show some spunk and her kind and very much love toward her brother makes her go into a world that even saying your name can cause a whole a lot of trouble but since she knows that she's the only one that can save him she's willing to take that chance and even bargain for something that she knows that can cost her more than she's willing to pay for.

Kagawa does a excellent job blending characters from old tales and the fey folklore plus she adds the fact that techonology is prevailing upon "the magic" and the fairies tales and the human are choosing the modern stuff over the old tales. The question is who shall prevail?

And of course it wouldn't be a young adult fantasy story if there wasn't any romance and a badass prince and I know must people are digging the bad boy thing (hello Patch?? our beloved fallen angel) but for some reason I'm not warming up toward Prince Ash, he had his moments with Meghan but his hot and cold mood swings gets tiring at moments, but i like to to think that is because of the fact that it has to do do with the fact that he's from the Winter Court and that he's having a hard time dealing with the fact that he may be falling in love with the daughter of Oberon, King of the Summer Court. You can say that they are Star Crossed Lover's from the very beginning. There's also Puck (yes the Puck that we all know as Robin Goodfellow), Meghan's best friend who was send to protect her and who is willing to catch a bullet for her and is hinted and is obvious that he's not only protecting her because of their old frienship or because of his duty and the fact that there's a feud between Puck & Ash it makes the love triangle even more interesting.

So if you are into fairies books you are going to love this one but if you are not I shall ask you to give it an opportunity because is worth, a bit slow at firts but then it turns out to be a quite damn good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

March 24, 2010 – Shelved