Courtney LeBlanc's Reviews > Q

Q by Evan Mandery

31904141
Jun 01, 2014

liked it

The premise of this book is fantastic - an older man travels back in time to tell his younger self not to marry the love of his life, a woman named Q. The younger self follows this advice and when the future life doesn't turn out as hoped, he begins getting visits from multiple versions of himself (all varying ages), each time getting different advice from each. My frustration with the book is the present day narrator always, ALWAYS takes the advice of his older self - only after changing his life dramatically for the 4th or 5th time does he begin to question the wisdom of following the advice. It's hard to imagine changing one's life so dramatically, and each change is so different from the previous it's almost absurd.

Additionally, the narrator is - for a while before one of his older selves changes his fate - a rather inept author. As such, the book contains chapters of the narrator's stories. These stories are quite terrible, add nothing to the book, and prove to be a huge distraction. One of his older selves tells the present day narrator, "...books within books are even more problematic than stories within stories." The irony of this statement was not lost on me.

Overall the book is a good read but the end left me wanting more - I was left wondering what happened which some may like and may feel this is what makes a book good, but personally I wanted to have a better idea of how things turned out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Q.

Finished Reading