Courtney LeBlanc's Reviews > Post Marked

Post Marked by Mark R. Trost

31904141
Jun 01, 2014

did not like it

I decided to read this book for two reasons: 1) at that time it had 12 5-star reviews on Amazon, and 2) it was free. Given it's high ratings and no cost I simply had to read. Sadly, I was nothing but disappointed with this book.

The chapters switch between telling the story of the main character, Mark, and his blog postings. Initially it's hard to get used to this style but you quickly figure out which is which. That being said the blog postings add little to the book, seem to just be random babbling, and try way, way too hard to be insightful. While it shows up throughout the book, the blog postings have so much alliteration it's distracting. For example, "I'm too busy to busy myself in someone else's business." If alliteration were used occasionally it would be fine but when the author has to try that hard to be witty and clever it becomes distracting and trite.

The main story, about Mark, his love life, and his friendships is not at all believable. Wait, I take that back, it's not that it's unbelievable, it's that it's written so poorly that the conversations are flat and don't ring true and the characters aren't developed enough to really care about them.

I was so uninterested in the book that I stopped reading a quarter through. While I usually try to gut it out in hopes the story gets better, I realized I didn't at all care about the characters or the thin line of the story. An editor would have been highly useful for this book as would a writing coach.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Post Marked.

Finished Reading