Sharon's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

liked it
bookshelves: booktube-a-thon

This is one of those times I really wish Goodreads had half stars, because this is definitely a 3.5 for me.

This was a pretty quick read. It covers 24 hours in the life of 17 year old Cellist Mia Hall - 24 hours that bring her whole world crashing down around her.

Mia and her family decide to use a snow day to their advantage, and go to visit friends. On the way, they have a fatal car accident. Mia is standing on the side of the road, watching herself be taken to hospital for life-saving treatment. When she gets there, she has an important decision to make - should she stay, and return to her life (or what's left of it), or should she say goodbye and go?

It's not as supernatural as I'm making it sound, it's basically a tale of a 17 year old girl who has a wonderful family, lovely boyfriend, lovely best friend and an amazing opportunity to go and study at Julliard. I don't know if I was expecting more - it doesn't seem fair to say that. I found it quite short and clipped - I actually thought my copy was missing a chunk.

Enjoyed it, didn't cry (I did get a lump in my throat when she talked about her little brother, that really got to me), didn't love it, but it was an okay read. I'm glad I read it, and I'm looking forward to starting Where She Went . Interestingly enough, the trailer from the upcoming film version of this made me BAWL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

June 1, 2014 – Shelved
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2014 – Shelved as: booktube-a-thon
July 14, 2014 – Started Reading
July 14, 2014 –
49.0% "Flying through this a bit, it's only 112 pages on my Kobo? I hope I don't get to the end and find a big chunk missing!!"
July 14, 2014 – Finished Reading