galleycat's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Mar 23, 2010

it was ok

Your average, ordinary, overhyped debut.

For starters, too long. Coulda been a tighter, stronger story in half the 600-plus pages. Lots of backstory at the front end, so the story is slow to get going. And even then, it's not a page-turner.

I found myself skim-reading through much of the book to get to the finish, probably because 1) I didn't really care that much about Ethan and Lena, either as individual characters or as an 'item,' and 2) I had a hard time buying into Ethan as the book's believable male point of view.

He's too perfect, too politically correct, too chivalrous, too quick to choose the new girl in town over his longtime friends, too lustless, too into poetry and too detail-oriented for a teen-age boy. He's certainly not like any teenage guys I grew up with or know today.

It's hard to buy into a book if you can't buy into the lead character.

Personally, I knew the book was in trouble when Ethan casually accepted that Lena could communicate with him through their thoughts ... or even that she just assumed he'd accept her paranormal whispers with little to no freaking out.

Really? I know I'd jump out of my skin if someone started talking to me nonchanlantly inside my head like that, as if it was right as rain.

That's the kind of credibility-sinking turn in a book that disconnects readers with characters ... and it's exactly the sort of thing a good editor would have fixed before this book ever saw print.

On the other hand, there's some nice stylistic writing going on in this book. And the last five lines in that opening chapter suck you in about as well as any opening chapter I've read in a long time.

I really wanted to like this book. I did. But ... didn't really work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.

04/01/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Duh-nay-nay For starters if you had a longer attention span you might have enjoyed the book. The point of the main character was that he was not typical. Yes he was a jock but he was raised by parents who where more into the arts. So yes he going to be different. I for one do not want to read about normal people. When I read it is to escape from reality for a little while. That is what a fiction book is for. The reason he chose the girl over his friends is he was in love with her. Let me tell you if a guy is really in love with a girl he will give his friends up because she is all that matters. Maybe if you had a little imagination you would have got that.

message 5: by galleycat (last edited Sep 14, 2010 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

galleycat Duh-nay-nay wrote: "For starters if you had a longer attention span you might have enjoyed the book. ... Maybe if you had a little imagination you would have got that."

Wow!! My first reaction is to ... ... ... ... ... uh, sorry. Lost my train of thought. What was I saying?

I'm glad you liked the book.

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene Ziegler Everyone's opinion is valid. Personal attacks, however, are not acceptable on Goodreads. In the future, Duh-nay-nay, I hope you will call upon your better angels to disagree with someone without being unkind. I see you are new to Goodreads. Welcome. Please be nice. Best wishes, Irene Ziegler (Goodreads Author)

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Hey I completely agree with your review. I've only begun the book (100 pages in) and I'm really not convinced I want to waist my time and finish the book. Ethan is soooo not what a male teenager would be. I just can't read books with unbelievable characters who are supposed to be apart of "mortal" life. Thanks for your review. I won't waist my time.

Noel people like detail and long books, detail makes it better

Tatiface I completely agree with your review! I can usually get through a good book rather quickly, but this one was a bore so it took a while. I wasn't convinced that this was written from the perspective of a teenage guy. It felt like there were two thirty something year old women trying to create a model of how they felt a teenage boy should behave, think and act... Oh wait....

Anyway, glad to know I'm not the only one that was having a hard time getting through it. Cheers!