Sophie's Reviews > The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding

The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding by Viveka Portman

Review also posted on my blog http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding is a high-emotion, steamy novella. After an unfortunate accident, Lord Jacob Fielding and Lady Jane Fielding are deemed unable to have any more children, which causes issues when their lack of a son brings Jacob’s vile brother Arthur on the scene, expecting to be named heir.

I’ve read one novel from Viveka Portman before this one, The Wicked Confessions of Lady Cecelia Stanton and although I enjoyed the story, I thought the formatting was too overly-edited and choppy. In The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding, the formatting was much better and easier to follow.

The book is told from Jane’s perspective and she was refreshingly honest and I found her easier to like than I had expected. Her husband Jacob’s emotions needed to be covered in order for the plot to make sense but we get a great insight to Jacob just from Jane’s telling because of her obvious love and care for his feelings.

The characterisation was great. Portman really makes it easy to hate Arthur as he is very irritating and his actions infuriating. He was selfish and throughout, I was hoping for him to get his comeuppance. Matthew was the opposite, a lot more sincere and likeable and the author developed the main characters a lot more than I had anticipated given the length of the book.

The way the plot plays out probably leads The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding down a slightly sordid route yet some of their choices felt easy to understand. I loved the tone and the way Jane recounted the story. The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding was fascinating, a little erotic and easy to enjoy.

4.5/5.

*Book gifted for honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Private Affairs of Lady Jane Fielding.

Started Reading