Jenni V.'s Reviews > Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey

Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey by Emma  Rowley

I love Downton Abbey so when I saw this book at the library, I had to get it. It was fun to page through with lots of information and photos, and I found it very interesting.
Fun Fact 1: Highclere Castle is a real family home and a majority of the furniture and wall decorations are not props (which is why they chose it). They use rubber sheets to protect the floors from the equipment/crew while filming, and they use tablecloths on the dining table to protect the antique (tablemats only would've been customary in that era).
Fun Fact 2: Only married women could wears tiaras.
Fun Fact 3: Since the cars used are antiques today they aren't always in the best working order so they sometimes have to replace sputtering engine noises with the "healthier engine sounds" the car would've made when it was new.
Fun Fact 4: The show is the highest-scoring reviewer-rated show ever and holds a Guinness World Record for the highest critical review ratings for a TV show (92 out of 100 on Metacritic, a site that aggregates reviews). It is also the most nominated non-American show in Emmy history (with 27 nominations).
As a note, the behind the scenes tidbits are more "technical" than "dishy", making it a good read for both lovers of the show and people interested in how tv shows are made.
Find all my reviews at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey.

May 31, 2014 – Started Reading