Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > Burn for Me

Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: 4-5-stars, adorable-alphas, chick-i-want-to-hang-out-with, book-boyfriend-material, chocolate-pms-day-reads, fantastic-fantasy, kick-ass-heroines, sci-fi, super-sidekicks, uf-pnr
Recommended for: THE ENTIRE WORLD or at least those who like UF without Vampires.
Read 6 times. Last read May 1, 2018 to May 8, 2018.

Re-read of the series in May and June

description

5th read and I still love practically everything about this book. It is like coming home after a long trip away and just being so happy to be there again. If you haven't started this series yet you are missing out in my honest and very humble yet biased opinion

Rereading Again....for no reason what-so-ever *whistles nonchalantly*

Buddy Read with Alexa, Athena, Ya, Carole, oOSarahOo, and Sandra

Fantastic and fun buddy read with some great girls. Totally worth the re-read less than a month later

Kindle highlight count 149 (I might have a problem)

LOVED IT, Loved it, LOVED IT!!! 4-4.5 Mad Rogan Stars.

Spoiler Free Review -

Top 5 Reasons I Love anything Ilona Andrews:

1. Fan-Freaking-Tastic build-up of sexual tension.
2. Never disappoint in making entirely new worlds and new magic systems.
3. They know how to make interesting side characters that add to the story.
4. Blending humor with action and suspense
5. I want to live in these worlds. I want to hang out in Nevada’s warehouse home and play on Herald. Or hang with Kate at the Keep, go with Andrea to the shooting range and drink some of Doolittle’s Honeybadger tea. I’d love to go on an adventure with George, Jack and Sophie and I need to visit Dina’s Inn and play with her broom. I read all of their books over and over and love them more every time.

Simply put they are the best. How many authors can switch up their worlds and make each one just as interesting if not more interesting than the last? I can only name a few.
 photo best_zps254aa930.gif

Burn For Me has everything that I have come to expect and need from an Ilona Andrews novel. There is the strong Heroine who is tough and likable, Nevada. The charismatic male lead Mad Rogan, who is handsome, rich, powerful, unconventional and a handful, possibly even a bit crazy, the jury is still out on that one.

photo diagonal_zps98fedcf0.jpg

The bad guy/s are just as interesting as everything else. They are never quite what you would expect and sometimes they can give the Hero a run for the money with their wit, charm and burning sexuality.

It all adds up to a great ride. I loved my introduction into this new world. It has new rules, a very different backstory than any of IA’s prior books and a whole new cast of characters. I’m sure I’m going to love all of them. Nevada’s family seems ripe with possibilities and I really liked the detective agency she is running with a few of her older and younger family members. They are a hoot and one of the strangest families I’ve read in a little while.

The premise of the world is that some people through scientific help generations ago developed abilities to control different elements or energies. Something like X-men-ish type powers, anything from talking to animals, controlling fire, telekinesis to working with metals or plants. It was deemed incredible dangerous and so the serum used was banned and now generations have gone by where some families have coalesced their power through breeding over generations to become the strongest they could possibly be. Mad Rogan is a byproduct and head of such a family.

Nevada’s family detective agency is owned by another powerful family and she has been commissioned to find one of its members before the police find him. Shouldn’t be too hard, except Adam is wanted for murder, extremely powerful and has an unusual fascination with Nevada.
 photo psyco_zps18707739.gif

When Mad Rogan and Nevada’s paths meet in search of the same thing it doesn’t all go well.

“So instead of talking to me, asking for my credentials, or doing any of those things a normal person would do, you decided to assault me and chain me in your basement?”
He shrugged a, slow, deliberate movement. “It seemed like the most expedient way to obtain the information. And let’s be honest, you weren’t exactly harmed. I even took you home.”
“You dumped me on my doorstep. According to my mother, I looked half dead.”
“Your mother exaggerates. A third dead at most.”

These two together really made the book for me. I ship them so hard. They are completely different and the way they rub against each other had me laughing and smiling just waiting for when something even hotter was going to happen. This is a slow building romance that I’m going to enjoy to build up for no matter how many books it takes…(view spoiler)please in the next book…I love them please….
 photo nopants_zps7e026a46.jpg

IA has this special way of making me love their characters. They aren’t perfect, they are scared or had deep seated issues of some kind hidden away, and I love ever new revelation and facet of them. I’m totally ready to dig in deeper and find out what makes Nevada and Mad Rogan especially tick.

Another winner from IA and I really can’t wait to read it again. Which is why I’m re-reading it with some GR buddies when it come out.

In Short….
 photo Read_this_zps8706f1dc.png

p.s. I will post a few more quotes after the book come out.
p.p.s. Thank you to _______ for the ARC, you know who you are and I love you for sending your copy to me

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Me.

May 31, 2014 – Shelved
May 31, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2014 – Started Reading
September 29, 2014 –
15.0% "Mages that can talk to and control animals. Yes please!!! So cute.\n  photo animal_zps9df578e1.jpg"
September 30, 2014 –
35.0% ""It seemed like the most expedient way to obtain the information. And let's be honest, you weren't exactly harmed. I even took you home."\n "You dumped me on my doorstep. According to me mother, I looked half dead."\n "Your mother exaggerates. A third dead at most."\n I stared at him Wow. Just wow.\n \n Mad Rogan, has some very interesting ideas of what is socially acceptble."
October 1, 2014 –
52.0% "If you keep wiggling things might get uncomfortable," he said into my ear, his voice like a caress. "I'm doing my best, but thinking about baseball only takes you so far."\n \n Mad Rogan I do believe you are a little bit dreamy. Maybe even a lot a bit dreamy."
October 2, 2014 –
68.0% "One school of thought says that the best way to handle an issue like this is exposure therapy," Mad Rogan said. "For example, if you're terrified of snakes, repeated handling of them will cure it."\n Aha. "I'm not handling you snake."\n \n Lol....I'm totally loving the sexual tension build between these two."
October 2, 2014 –
75.0% "Mad Rogan you might be a little mad but damn you are hot. You are a hot sociopath....can we say Tactile class.\n \n  photo psyco_zps18707739.gif"
October 3, 2014 –
90.0% "I'm loving the chemistry, so hot.\n \n  photo funnyhot_zpsb803de49.gif"
October 3, 2014 – Shelved as: 4-5-stars
October 3, 2014 – Shelved as: super-sidekicks
October 3, 2014 – Shelved as: uf-pnr
October 3, 2014 – Finished Reading
page 1
0.26% "Buddy Read!!! So excited to re-read this book with some friends." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
page 2
0.52% "Move along, nothing to see here, just a young blond woman playing with her phone by some shrubbery.\n \n Any time I read/hear the word shrubbery I think Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Anyone else have the problem?" (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 28, 2014 –
5.0% "They say a hundred-and-thirty-pound woman has no chance against an athletic two-hundred-pound man. That’s a lie. You just have to make a decision to hurt him and then do it.\n \n Commitment is everything." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 28, 2014 –
16.0% "“He would’ve burned that man to death over a candy bar. Adam takes what he wants, and if you tell him no, he will hurt you. That’s the kind of person you’re dealing with. I won’t say good luck, but take care.”\n \n Well that seems like a good bad guy. Raising a child with a superpower seems complicated." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 30, 2014 –
32.0% "“Lunch, Ms. Baylor. Concentrate. Pick a place.”\n “You seem to be under the impression that I work for you and you can give me orders. Let me fix that.” I hung up.\n \n Haha....Nevada is fiesty I love it." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 30, 2014 –
40.0% "“I can project, but I would have to be next to you to do it.”\n \n Opps maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the dream. ...tehee" (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 31, 2014 –
45.0% "“Then what is it?”\n “It’s the . . .” I struggled for words. “Splat.”\n Mad Rogan glanced at me, his eyes puzzled. “Splat.”\n “Yes.”\n \n Haha this whole scene in The pit is great. Welcome to the anal sore of Houston." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 31, 2014 –
55.0% "“Yes, I’m a hermit. Mostly I brood,” Mad Rogan said. “Also I’m very good at wallowing in self-pity. I spend my days steeped in melancholy, looking out the window. Occasionally a single tear quietly rolls down my cheek.”\n \n I love this entire scene with Nevada's family. Rogan is so likeable here." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 31, 2014 –
73.0% "“Could you be more smug?”\n He leaned on his elbow. “Possibly. I see you liked the flowers.”\n I got a sudden urge to set the carnations on fire. “They are gorgeous. It’s not their fault you brought them.”\n \n Nevada, he might melt you yet ;)" (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
November 1, 2014 –
76.0% ""She said you could make him see reason.”\n If the clouds split open and an archangel descended onto the street in all of his heavenly glory and tried to make Rogan see reason, he would fail miserably and have to pack up his flaming sword and go back to Heaven in shame.\n \n That paints a picture." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
November 1, 2014 –
95.0% "“Now that was a kiss,” Grandma Frida said\n \n Grandma Frida steals the show ever time she is on page." (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
July 12, 2016 –
page 1
0.25% "Re-Read Re-Read Re-Read....."
May 25, 2017 – Started Reading
May 28, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 1, 2018 – Started Reading
May 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)

Athena Shardbearer I WANT IT!!! lol.

Robin (Bridge Four) Athena (Shardbearer) wrote: "I WANT IT!!! lol."

LoL we are going to have fun reading it together!

message 3: by -ya (new) - rated it 4 stars

-ya Oct 28 is soooo far away, Robin! I can't wait to read this one:)

Robin (Bridge Four) AHHH. Lol, it is a little while away but it is coming up fast.

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) Great review! It makes me want this book even more.

Robin (Bridge Four) I'm so excited to read it again with friends when it comes out.!!!

Liz* Fashionably Late Great review!

Robin (Bridge Four) Liz* wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks Liz

Robin (Bridge Four) One more week!!!

Athena Shardbearer Robin wrote: "One more week!!!"

TOOOO FREAKING LONG!!!! But, I will be busy tonight with Blue Lily, Lily Blue! I reserved my copy at B&N and picking it up today after work! WOOP WOOP!!!!

Robin (Bridge Four) Yay....I'm starting it sooooo soon today too. My Raven Boys and Blue I'm totally excited.

Athena Shardbearer Robin wrote: "Yay....I'm starting it sooooo soon today too. My Raven Boys and Blue I'm totally excited."

Right! I've missed them so much!

Sandra It comes out Oct 28th. Surely I'll be about to finish Unwind by then. No problem if you liked starting it by then. I'd join up as soon as I finished Unwind.

Robin (Bridge Four) Sounds good Sandra. I'll create a group this weekend for us and anyone else who wants to drop by and chat about the book.

Sandra Perfect!

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) So excited!

Robin (Bridge Four) Yay.... Today's goal it is pace myself and savor it.

message 19: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey Awesome review, Robin!

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Are we planning a buddy re-read yet?! I'm sooo ready for it, ha ha!! :D

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) This is definitely a re-read kind of book.

Athena Shardbearer I agree, this book is re-read worthy.

Robin (Bridge Four) I'm sure I'll read it again too. I'm going to wait closer to the next books release date. But I'm so happy everyone in the buddy read liked it.

Robin (Bridge Four) Rogan is like a cross between beautiful imalgamation of Jericho Barrons, Martin Blank (Gross Point Blank) and possible even a smidgen of Curran in there too.

I can't wait to see what they come up with for this story next.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Kindle highlight count 149 (I might have a problem)

I'm right there with you Robin!! Do you think there's a cure for that?!

Robin (Bridge Four) oOSarahOo wrote: "Kindle highlight count 149 (I might have a problem)

I'm right there with you Robin!! Do you think there's a cure for that?!"

I'm not sure there is a cure and it is getting worse. I'm starting to organize by color.

Pink - Heroine
Blue - Hero
Orange - Side Characters
Yellow - setting, plot point or backstory

Good thing they only give me 4 colors to choose from, or bad thing I can't decide I'd really like a green and purple highlighter too.

I had more highlights in this book than any other I've read.

Books I love 50+
okay books 25-49
ehe books hit under the 20 mark.

That means I loved things in this book 3 times more than most books I read :)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Robin wrote: "oOSarahOo wrote: "Kindle highlight count 149 (I might have a problem)

I'm right there with you Robin!! Do you think there's a cure for that?!"

I'm not sure there is a cure and it is getting worse..."

Oh wow, organizing by colours!! You've got it baaaaadd! ;-) Well, I shouldn't say anything really because my highlights for books I love easily hit the 100-150 mark... I recently read a book which was just okay and ended up highlighting 50+ passages... Come to think of it your coloured highlights might help me sort through things a bit! ;-)

Highlighters Anonymous, here we come! :D

Choko I have not read it yet.... Shame on me!

Nafeeza A re-read and I wasn't invited?! O_O *goes off to cry in a corner*

Nafeeza @Choko - what do you mean you haven't read this yet! It is like the best, please remedy this ASAP...

message 31: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri I love this book!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* This book is addicting - I'm kind of inclined to re-read it already myself. It's only been a few months since I read it too.

Robin (Bridge Four) Nafeeza wrote: "A re-read and I wasn't invited?! O_O *goes off to cry in a corner*"

Ha it is super impromptu

I'm going to read it super fast because I was invited to beta White Hot.

Sandra Robin wrote: "
I'm going to read it super fast because I was invited to beta White Hot."

O.O
What!
OMG!
Are you going to wear a T-shirt "I am Ilona's beta" or something?
Don't! People are jealous and it's kind of dangerous. I wouldn't do a good beta so I am so happy you're reading WH earlier!!!

Robin (Bridge Four) Haha... great idea.

Nafeeza Robin wrote: "Nafeeza wrote: "A re-read and I wasn't invited?! O_O *goes off to cry in a corner*"

Ha it is super impromptu

I'm going to read it super fast because I was invited to beta White Hot."

Nafeeza Robin wrote: "Haha... great idea.

Maybe I'll get a t-shirt...but you are right it is kind of dangerous. I'm pretty sure if I would court being hit by random flying opjects."

Yes, Don't wear the T-shirt... might entice would be upstanding citizens to start "borrow without asking" said IA books. :p

Robin (Bridge Four) Nafeeza wrote:

Oooo-super Jealous! And if the title is any indication we have much to look forward to... Enjoy! ;D"

There is rumor of some steamy hot times....I'm totally looking forward to getting to them.

message 39: by Lolo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lolo seriously worth rereading! Ilona Andrews ruined me for UF and nothing is good enough :'(

Robin (Bridge Four) Lolo wrote: "seriously worth rereading! Ilona Andrews ruined me for UF and nothing is good enough :'("

Haha....they are one of my favorites to be sure. I've still found a few others but it took time to warm to them.

Maria Dimitrova Wonderful review!

Cathy (cathepsut) Counting the hours until Tuesday!

Robin (Bridge Four) Maria wrote: "Wonderful review!"

Thanks Maria. This is like my 5th read of it. I love it

Robin (Bridge Four) Cathy (cathepsut) wrote: "Counting the hours until Tuesday!"

Me too! Then on to July

Maria Dimitrova Robin wrote: "Maria wrote: "Wonderful review!"

Thanks Maria. This is like my 5th read of it. I love it"

I just read it for the first time and loved it.

Robin (Bridge Four) It only gets better :)

message 47: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Fantastic review, Robin!!! LOL, I only read it Sunday for the first time and I already re-read it yesterday for the fun of it :-D

Robin (Bridge Four) Jo wrote: "Fantastic review, Robin!!! LOL, I only read it Sunday for the first time and I already re-read it yesterday for the fun of it :-D"

It is totally that kind of book :)

Glad you are enjoying it Jo :)

Kaseadillla you got me addicted to Ilona Andrews. I blew through 7 Kate Daniels books in like 2 weeks. Yikes

Robin (Bridge Four) Kaseadillla wrote: "you got me addicted to Ilona Andrews. I blew through 7 Kate Daniels books in like 2 weeks. Yikes"

Haha.....that sounds right. I remember the first time I read them and I couldn't even stop to write reviews after book 3 so it was all a jumbled mess in my mind when I finally got to them.

« previous 1