Brenda's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Mar 23, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy, dnf

I thought the first book in The Mortal Instruments series had some good, but was kind of a mess. Still, it was good enough to get me to keep reading. As the trilogy (or what was supposed to be a trilogy) went on, I thought Cassandra Clare was improving in her writing. She seemed to be hitting her stride.

She certainly proved me wrong with City of Fallen Angels. It's everything I hate about YA literature. That's not to say that I hate YA books, there are just certain aspects about them that I don't like, and this one is filled with them.

I cannot stand the angsty teenage romance thing. 125 pages in, and that's all that seems to be going on. The love that surpasses all other loves in the world (even though it hasn't been that long since they found out they weren't really brother and sister), but that can't be all. There has to be some "I love you but I can't love you", "does he really love me?", "there is some secret reason why I shouldn't love you".

But wait, there's more. We have a love triangle with Simon and two girls. Oh love triangle, what would I do without you in these YA novels? I wouldn't have anything to spoil my enjoyment, and we wouldn't want that. I didn't get far enough into the book to see what becomes of it, but I don't care. In fact, I'm done with these characters altogether. The story is done and over with as far as I'm concerned, so I'm going to stop reading and pretend it ended with City of Glass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

Lyndsey Trust me, you didn't miss anything by putting it down partially through the book. Rubbish. So unless you really like rubbish...

message 2: by Lucy (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucy I cannot stand the angsty teenage romance thing. 125 pages in, and that's all that seems to be going on. The love that surpasses all other loves in the world (even though it hasn't been that long since they found out they weren't really brother and sister)

This sums up a big chunk of my problem with Clary and Jace. They've known each other a few months. The first three books take place over the course of the last month of summer. They spent almost all of that time believing they were brother and sister... this book takes place a whopping two or three months later. It's like the worst case of relationship condensing I can think of. Even in the Twilight Saga Bella celebrated two birthdays.