~Tina~'s Reviews > The Vespertine

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Mar 23, 2010

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss, arc, paranormal, young-adult, read-2010
Read from November 20 to 23, 2010

"No. First, tell me you love me, as you have no one else."
The wind roared around us, like a great storm come off the waves. Nathaniel tightened his arms around me and said "Jump with me."
And I did.

Set in 1889 Victorian era, sixteen year old Amelia van den Broek is sent to Baltimore to stay her cousin Zora, in hopes to find a proper husband .
While I'm sure her brother wouldn't approve of an artist as a well suitor, never the less, Amelia as her eyes on the dashing Nathaniel Witherspoon. Only he has a secret that weaves with her future. A future Amelia can see and frightfully watches come true...

The Vespertine was a real treat to read since I've always been fascinated with Victorian era settings and love how each word just rolls of the tongue like a crisp caress.
Saundra Mitchell pens an elegant and beautiful love story of a girl who has a gift but spells out more like a curse, and a boy who harbors an unreachable talent of his own.
Not quite a forbidden romance, but more like kindred spirits who are entwined with hopeful possibilities.

My heart really went out to Amelia. To see such events and witness the reality was both sad and thrilling. I really enjoyed the bond she shared with Zora. It was comfortable with easy banter and wit.
Nathaniel's paranormal element was quite unique and I really enjoyed that aspect of the story. In brought more of a haunting-romance to the storyline that I thought fit the era smoothly.There flirt is like watching a well rehearsed dance and I just adored those moments. Beautiful words. Beautiful chemistry.

The only thing that confused me was the first chapter since the character has already been pulled back from the the initial storyline and we're actually reading flashbacks from that point on, but after the second chapter I caught on so it didn't take anything away from the experience.

Overall, I thought that The Vespertine was a charming and enchanting read. The characters are well defined, mysterious and tantalizing and the concept, while not entirely original, was still very captivating and entertaining. I'm going to have to pick up a copy of this book as soon as it hits the shelves.
Can't wait to see what Saundra Mitchell has in store for us next!

Well done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vespertine.

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Nov 23, 2010 06:19AM) (new) - added it

Jessica Oh goodie, you liked it! Gonna read this soon, too. Within the next 60 days, to be precise ;-) Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and a great review as always! <3

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim What Jess said! Want to read this with me Jess? After I finish Awaken, that is.

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Nov 23, 2010 06:43AM) (new) - added it

Jessica Deal! Great idea :)
Don't worry, I have to finish Angelfire first...

~Tina~ Thanks guys:) I hope you like it!

~crawls back to bed~

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim *nuzzle* Take lots of books with you. *whispers "blackmail your husband into buying you a Kindle"*

message 6: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review Tina. I didn't order this one. Might change my mind.

This sitting at a PC sucks. I convinced my husband into buying me a mini tiny laptop for now and try to save my netgalley until I get it. Still working on a 'kimble'. (Thanks to Jessica I will never call it kindle again)

message 7: by Jessica (last edited Nov 23, 2010 02:32PM) (new) - added it

Jessica *grins*

Hey, don't blame me. It was Kim's idea :) She's our Kimble sales representative. ^^

Wow, I'm impressed by your persuasiveness!

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Nice review Tina!! This sounds like something I'd like. :)

~Tina~ Thankies:) I thought it was a great book, hope you enjoy it:)

Heather Anastasiu I agree, this book was a total treat to read. I got it as an arc from Netgalley too, and while the cover intrigued me, I had no idea how really wonderful the story and lush writing would be!!

~Tina~ So glad you enjoyed it well. It was a great read and I can't wait to own a copy of it:)

Cindy Great quote! I totally enjoyed reading this book. I was glad it ended the way it did, I was a little worried! great review by the way!

~Tina~ Thankies, I don't usual like historical romance, but I really enjoyed this one:)

Morgan F I have been stuck at the 3/4ths point of this book for weeks. I just can't get past it, but I don't want to mark it as unfinished.

~Tina~ LOL Morg, I love that you can't unfinished a book. If you don't like it by now sweetie your not going to like it later. This book isn't for everyone.

Morgan F No. Its mocking me now. I WILL FINISH. And as punishment for this torture, I shall give it a seething review.

~Tina~ LOL! I'd pinch your cheeks, but that would be very unwise of me. Your to cute!

Morgan F I do not understand! How is anger adorable?!

~Tina~ Cause I know you.

message 20: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Not just any anger... Morgan's anger. Big difference.

Oh what the heck I'm in a daring mood ...
~pinches....~

HA! Daring... not stupid. :P

~Tina~ Hehehehe ^^ Your braver then me, I wouldn't have even attempted it;)

Morgan F WHOAWHOAWHOA

No cheek pinching! I thought we had established this!

message 23: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I want to soooo BAD!!

Morgan F And I want chocolate palace that shall not melt. Neither of us shall get our wishes.

~Tina~ Me too!! Not Me!

message 26: by Arlene (last edited Mar 14, 2011 06:21PM) (new)

Arlene For some reason chocolate palace reminded me of a chocolate bunny which reminds me of those little chickie marshmallow thingies that come out during easter ....does anyone else feel that eating those is just criminal?

Morgan F Ugh. Peeps? Soooooo sugary. Eating them is criminal, but just for your teeth.

~Tina~ Yuckola! I can't eat those things ^^ I'm a pure chocolate kinda gal.

message 29: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Yes, peeps. I can't eat them. They are too cute.

message 30: by Nic (new)

Nic Is there already easter eggs out at your supermarket too?

Morgan F Yes. Walmart has half an aisle dedicated to St. Patricks Day, but two aisles full of Easter.

~Tina~ Same here. Easter is a pretty big on all the treats. I wanna do a hunt for the boys this year =D

message 33: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Yes, we have Easter stuff out in our stores as well. Last year, Christmas stuff started coming out late October!

~Tina~ Haha, yeah, stores don't fool around during Christmas time. They start loading shelves right after back to school. lol