Sanjay Gautam's Reviews > The Outsider

The Outsider by Albert Camus

It came as something quite shocking which left me dazed for days. I don't consider myself worthy enough to review this book because I won't be doing justice to this book, at all. This book has left me in a certain distress with so many questions to ponder upon. And sometimes I think if this book can be reviewed at all.

The prose of Camus is very simple and eloquent, and is a pleasure to read, but he raises some philosophical questions a layer beneath his beautifully crafted novella which leaves you pondering deeply. Its a book that doesn't give any answers rather it raises profound questions about The Nature of Truth- through a man, with all his imperfection and innocence, who becomes an Outsider, a stranger to the world, just because he only speaketh the truth, and nothing else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsider.

May 30, 2014 – Shelved
page 80
May 16, 2015 –
page 111
May 16, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Better Eggs My mind was blown with this book too. I loved it. I think Camus is amazing.

message 2: by Sanjay (last edited May 17, 2015 02:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sanjay Gautam Camus is amazing. There is no doubt about that. Actually I think I need sometime to digest this book. May after sometime I will be in a better position to give my opinion.

message 3: by Parthiban (new) - added it

Parthiban Sekar This book is amazing! It is just that it is way beyond our thinking. If you like this, try The Fall.... That is the best of Camus for me!

Sanjay Gautam Parthiban wrote: "This book is amazing! It is just that it is way beyond our thinking. If you like this, try The Fall.... That is the best of Camus for me!"

I've fall in my collection....but I think I'm not going to read it any time soon.

message 5: by Parthiban (new) - added it

Parthiban Sekar Oh... It is just 100 pages. FYI! But the content is intensely profound !

message 6: by Sanjay (last edited Jul 03, 2015 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sanjay Gautam Well I have Crime and Punishment in line, then one graphic novel; and I'm already reading Captain Blood and Descartes' works. So it will surely take some considerable time. I do appreciate your concern though. Cheers.

message 7: by Parthiban (new) - added it

Parthiban Sekar Good luck with C&P.... Epic book!

Sanjay Gautam Thank you.

Glenn Russell Wow! Powerful reaction. thanks for sharing, Sanjoy.

message 10: by Sanjay (last edited Jul 04, 2015 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sanjay Gautam Glenn wrote: "Wow! Powerful reaction. thanks for sharing, Sanjoy."

Thank you, for your kind words, Glenn.

message 11: by Sharyl (new) - added it

Sharyl Gripping, compelling, live-changing? I'll take to pick this up at the right time...

message 12: by Parthiban (new) - added it

Parthiban Sekar Sharyl wrote: "Gripping, compelling, live-changing? I'll take to pick this up at the right time..."

Soon You should, Sharyl :D

message 13: by Corinne (new) - added it

Corinne This book is very thought-provoking. Fiction teaches us about emotions. What to do then, with a novel's protagonist who is so dispassionate? Must be difficult for a writer to create it and Camus managed it very well. Thanks for your review, Sanjay !

Sanjay Gautam Parthiban wrote: "Sharyl wrote: "Gripping, compelling, live-changing? I'll take to pick this up at the right time..."

Soon You should, Sharyl :D"

Yeah it's very gripping - as soon as you start you are hooked. And it raises some profound philosophical questions. And in my opinion you should give this book a try. :)
Hope you will find this book soon.

Sanjay Gautam Corinne wrote: "This book is very thought-provoking. Fiction teaches us about emotions. What to do then, with a novel's protagonist who is so dispassionate? Must be difficult for a writer to create it and Camus ma..."

I agree with you, Corinne. Thanks for visiting my review. :)

Gautam Your curt,stirring review says your fruitful experience with the novel quite transparently.

message 17: by Lily (new)

Lily Yes, sometimes the most affecting books are the hardest to write about. But your brief review reveals a lot about the depth of this book. :)

message 18: by Xandraa (new) - added it

Xandraa You got me curious … :)

Sanjay Gautam Lily wrote: "Yes, sometimes the most affecting books are the hardest to write about."

Very True. Thanks for visiting, Lily.

Sanjay Gautam Xandraa wrote: "You got me curious … :)"

message 21: by Xandraa (new) - added it

Xandraa Sanjay wrote: "Xandraa wrote: "You got me curious … :)"

It's a great book, you will gain many insights about the relation between the mob and an individual."

Thanks Sanjay!

Partha Sarathi U should read 'The Fall'.....Life changing book....atleast for me...

Franco  Santos Completely agree! Great review.

message 24: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Fisher I totally agree in every way shape and form. It really takes a good mind to be able to understand the true meaning of the novel, and how perfectly crafted it was written. Camus did a very good job at making his readers wonder what would happen next, and left the readers with many unanswered questions. Although the novel is very short, it holds so much meaning and makes it seem much longer than what it actually is. It is hard to review this novel because of the complexity that it holds. An individual really has to read the novel to be able to get the full affect of surprise, action and question.