Kay's Reviews > Chasing Azrael

Chasing Azrael by Hazel Butler

bookshelves: awb, summer-reads-blog-2014

I could not put this book down. I stayed up past the witching hour reading this book on more than one occasion and was sorely tempted to just read the whole thing in one sitting, but my day job had other ideas (apparently they like their employees conscious).

At any rate, this was astoundingly well-written, one of the best written debut novels I’ve read in some time. The characters were engaging and realistic, nothing felt forced, the action was superb, and the pacing was just right. I loved the bits of mythology that were woven throughout the tale, but I would have been interested in seeing a bit more of the backstory on some of the ghosts (because I’m the curious type, not because I think it would help the story – it would probably bog it down if it were in there).

Honestly, late at night was the best time to read this book because there was quite a bit going on, which required a level of concentration I’m not usually afforded at my house. It doesn’t have a happily-ever-after ending, but that’s okay because I think the way it ended is the right way for the story to go.

All in all, this is another book I can’t recommend highly enough, and I can’t wait for the next book in the Deathly Insanity series to be released!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Azrael.

May 29, 2014 – Started Reading