Amanda's Reviews > American Savages

American Savages by J.J. McAvoy

bookshelves: assassin-mafia-hero, arc-netgalley, favourite-2015

*spoiler free*

Exceptional. Notorious. Unstoppable.

I still remember last year when I saw the old blurb, I knew I had to read this one. It was mentioned Mr. and Mrs. Smith meet Soprano. I mean how could I pass this up. Now that I finished the entire trilogy, I got to say I absolutely love this series from the start to finish, even with the tone getting darker and darker and the characters getting more OTT.

The plot is unpredictable from start to finish, every book left you craving for more, surprising revelation at every stop, the sex is hot and animalistic, and there is enough violence and blood to drown a village. There is no justice, no conscience, no redemption.

Liam Callahan, the Irish mob prince had a God complex and as cocky as they come. He had an impulsive and devil-may-care attitude that drove you nut.

Melody Giovanni, the Italian mafia princess is like a man in a female body. She is a control freak and one of the toughest heroine I had encounter and totally kick major ass, including Liam.

They are ruthless, untouchables and the savages.

Their got married due to an arrange marriage to make their family stronger, but together they found solace and strength in each other. Their relationship grew so far, from the moment Mel shot Liam during their first meeting, to having a family and enduring the ultimate fight against their enemies. I like how they were both so committed to the marriage from the get go. Even with them being married from Book 1, their relationship never lose any spark throughout the series.

"There are no pants in Mel's and my relationship, we both prefer to be naked."

They are match made in Hell. Together they wrecked havoc from the street of Chicago to Washing DC.

There is so much violence and death here that I had stop being squeamish and questioning my own morale. McAvoy really don't hold back any punches when it comes to ditching out the violence and retribution. The main character is the ultimate villain and I still rooting for them to win. I'm not going to mentioned about the plot because that's too spoilery and is gonna ruin the surprise. Let just say is one of the more convoluted, action packed mafia plot that I've ever read. Totally OTT and I couldn't care less. Imagine the Expendable kind of badassary.

The Ruthless People trilogy is recommended for those who loves mafia story and not squeamish towards violence and loving bad people. The plot is rich and unpredictable, filled with action, danger, violence and for those romance readers, you will fall in love with Liam and Mel, the most badass husband and wife duo.

"Clothes covered in red,
Eyelids sore and blue,
Never forget the ruthless
Because they won't ever forget you."
- J. J. McAvoy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Savages.

May 29, 2014 – Shelved
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 23, 2014 – Shelved as: assassin-mafia-hero
March 10, 2015 – Started Reading
March 10, 2015 –
0.0% "I just got the ARC. Squee! Every other book have to give way."
March 11, 2015 –
100.0% "What a super kickass finale!"
March 11, 2015 – Shelved as: arc-netgalley
March 11, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 4, 2015 – Shelved as: favourite-2015

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Terrific review Amanda! :D ♥ Glad you enjoyed this series!! I've yet to catchup on this one!

message 2: by Didi (new)

Didi Great review Amanda ;))

Amanda Jasmine wrote: "Terrific review Amanda! :D ♥ Glad you enjoyed this series!! I've yet to catchup on this one!"

Thanks, Jasmine. the series is completed, so it might be a good time to start.

Amanda Didi wrote: "Great review Amanda ;))"

thanks, didi.

Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) Fantastic review Babe...So glad you're enjoying this series ;)

Amanda Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) wrote: "Fantastic review Babe...So glad you're enjoying this series ;)"

Thanks, V. this series is fantastic!

CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD Fabulous review! I so love Liam and Mel! <3

Amanda CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD wrote: "Fabulous review! I so love Liam and Mel! <3"

Thanks, Cas. They are the most crazy couple ever. I miss them.

Maria Ramirez Just finished & it is my new favorite series! Fantastic review!

Maria Ramirez Just finished & it is my new favorite series! Fantastic review!

message 11: by Amanda (last edited Jul 29, 2015 11:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda Nessy's wrote: "Just finished & it is my new favorite series! Fantastic review! "

Thanks, Nessy. I'm glad you love it.