Mary's Reviews > Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest

Wulf the Saxon by G.A. Henty

F 50x66
Mar 22, 2010

My first Henty book remains my favorite (and it's the only way I passed history in high school). These books follow young British boys on adventures in history around the world. Some are better than others; my favorites (aside from this one) are By Right of Conquest, Beric the Briton, Won by the Sword, and Facing Death. Facing Death is probably the most interesting considering it is one of Henty's shorter works. In most stories, the British boy is an orphan or somehow separated from his parents; he picks up a sidekick of some sort during the story, and he sometimes marries a girl at the end. Along the way, he does great and glorious things, winning honor for Great Britain and showing how much better he is (and other Britons are) than the natives.... yeah. But I suppose that was a part of the common philosophy when Henty was writing.
Historically, the books are fantastic: they usually include battle maps, a thorough run-through of all the important action, and an accurate description of the events leading up to the conflict. Definitely more interesting than my Streams of Civilization textbook. Yurg.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wulf the Saxon.