Ladyslott's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Mar 22, 2010

bookshelves: coming-of-age, women, religion, judaism, spirituality, biblical, historical-fiction, 2000

An amazing example of storytelling at its best. This book draws you into the lives of Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, who was the father of the twelve tribes of Israel. Afforded a small mention in the bible, Anita Diamant envisions the life of this biblical woman and breathes life into her. I found myself going back to the Bible, to read the story of Dinah and Jacob, Joseph , Leah and Rachel. To me that is an amazing feat, that the book became so true to me, that I felt compelled to read this part of the Bible again, something I have not done in years. The book also offers the rare opportunity to hear a woman's voice, in biblical times. Rarely do we hear the stories of these women, and although this is undoubtably fiction, it rang true from beginning to end. An absolute must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

Started Reading
March 22, 2010 – Shelved as: religion
March 22, 2010 – Shelved as: judaism
September 15, 2010 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 5, 2010 – Shelved as: 2000

Olivermagnus  I loved this when I read it years ago. I'm going to see if I can find the audio and reread it.

message 2: by Linda (last edited Oct 21, 2016 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda This was a favorite for me a couple of years ago & worth a re-read! NIce review.

Michelle I so agree.....it is a must read ! One of my all time favorites ~

Karen Great review! I loved this book!

message 5: by Oodles (new) - added it

Oodles  Absolutely one of my favorites when I read this years ago. I just bought The Boston Girl just because it's by the same author.